Transfer SMS back to phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by domainsam, Jan 6, 2010.

1. domainsam macrumors newbie

Are there any programs or anyway how to transfer SMS from your computer back to your phone?
    I have deleted messages with one contact and I really need them transferred back to my phone.. Is this possible?

Thanks.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. domainsam thread starter macrumors newbie

I am new at this and just have read your thread. I have the text file on my computer but the text have deleted on my phone. Can I transfer it back to my phone?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Only if u have a backup of your phone inside iTunes and then restore from that backup. You can't transfer them the way u have them as text on your computer.

5. domainsam thread starter macrumors newbie

So how can I put them into itunes?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can't now, they're already deleted from your iPhone right? If you synced your iPhone prior to deleteing them then iTunes would have made a backup of your iPhone. Then u could restore from backup.
    This SMS messeges were on an iPhone correct?

7. domainsam thread starter macrumors newbie

I synced my phone before the messages were deleted. Yes I am talking about my iPhone.

If I have synced before they were deleted can I do anything to get them back onto my phone? Or what is there to do now?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes. Plug your iPhone to iTunes and then right click the iPhone and select restore from backup.

9. domainsam thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I will do this... Does this come back in regular text format or how will it be after I press restore?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im not sure what you mean.
    What would be in text format?
    The whole Iphone will be restored back the same way it was that day that you created that backup thru itunes.
    All your settings, text messages, emails, contacts etc....

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'm confused why he didn't do what I said right off the bat (i.e., restore from a backup). He either has a backup or he doesn't have one.

OP, the main thing is you had to have done a backup when you had those messages on your phone. Otherwise they're probably lost, since I know of no other way to get them, unless you get them off the backup on your phone using DiskAid from the link I gave you.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, I think he's confused about the whole thing:D

13. domainsam thread starter macrumors newbie

The backup didn't seem to work. I have a copy of the .mddata file with all the messages so is there anyway to go from there? If not can you explain diskaid.

14. domainsam thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried doing it from the backup and the only backup I had just had my name so I selected that and did the backup but my text did not come back.

If my name was there and I was able to choose it does that mean it was a backup?

If it wasn't maybe that is why it didn't work.

15. domainsam thread starter macrumors newbie

Also after I did this my phone automatically did a sync so does that mean there is no hope? Before the sync happened I made a copy of the 3d0...mddata file so can I do anything?

16. domainsam thread starter macrumors newbie

When I did the backup my text did not come back but the settings were restored ect. Before I did a sync I copied the .mddata file to my desktop.
    Can I do anything with it now?

17. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Does SQLite Database Browser ring a bell?

BTW, you obviously backed up your iPhone after you deleted your SMS.

18. domainsam thread starter macrumors newbie

It rings a bell :rolleyes: just don't know how to use it...
    Can I get the text back on my phone by using the file?

19. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Okay, let's forget using all the software. Since you have the .mddata file (or is it files, you can do this, which was in the link I told (if you read it :))

I'm not sure about "the checksums manifest file" they are referring to. I'd backup the backup if you do this.

This is the name of the .mddata file for SMS:

3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28.mddata

From what it says above about the checksum, you probably won't be able to just copy this file over the same file on ..../MobileSync/Backup. Like I said backup your backup in case this screws it up.

Good luck!

FYI, mainly what I linked to you was a way to have a copy of your SMS so you could read them. Had you had the backup this would have been easier.

20. domainsam thread starter macrumors newbie

How can I sign it into iTunes? I wanted to use http://insend.de/
    But when I upload it says error: upload of 3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28.mddata failed

21. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'm not sure why you're using that, since you'd be uploading all your "private" messages to who knows. Anyway, since that doesn't work there must be something wrong with your file. You're SOL.

I have no idea what you're talking about "signing it into iTunes."

22. domainsam thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I meant sync.
    So I can't do anything with the .mddata file now?
    What could be wrong with the file all I did was make a copy of it and put it on my desktop.

23. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You can use SQLite like I told you. All you do is open the mddata file and then click on browse. If it won't open you are SOL.