transfer songs from iTunes to iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bitbonk, Dec 27, 2010.

1. bitbonk macrumors newbie

I have 2 macs with two completely independent iTunes databases. They are used for differnt purposes and contain different music. I really do not want to merge these two databases.

From time to time I need to selectively transfer some few songs from the one computer to the other one. Is there a clever way I can achieve this? I would like to transfer the files including the metadata.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Your iTunes music should be located in Mac HD/Users/user/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media folder. Just copy&paste them into a portable drive or do it over your network, it's pretty simple.

3. bitbonk thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought that iTunes itself stores some stuff in some sort internal database too. What is actually stored there?

4. brandon.8602 macrumors member

If you use the same itunes account on both computers (which I'm assuming you do) then just activate Home Sharing on each computer and drag over the music you want from one library to the other

5. bitbonk thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, they are on different accounts, unfortunately.

6. bitbonk thread starter macrumors newbie

Could it be that the covers are not stored in the soundfiles unless I manually drag them to the metadata window?

7. nippyjun macrumors 65816

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That does appear to be the case. If I use iTunes' "get artwork" feature then copy the songs to my phone, the artwork doesn't come across. But if I manually add the artwork, it does transfer to my phone.