Transfer SSD from old to new macbook pro --question!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jazzneel, Dec 20, 2012.

1. jazzneel, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012

jazzneel macrumors member

So I sold my 2010 macbook pro and just bought a 2012. I am putting my Crucial M4 SSD on the new one (from the old one) and also putting 8GB ram on it. How much of a difference will I see day to day in my normal tasks?

How about for games (like starcraft)? I finally will no longer have a core2duo processor... woot!

EDIT:

My new question is, when I get my new macbook pro, can I just swap the ssd onto the new one (from the old) and be donel? Or do I have to re install everything including the OS and stuff? My current macbook pro has lion installed.

Thanks!

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Going from the Geforce 320M to the Intel HD4000 graphics should give you a pretty nice boost. I believe it is twice as fast in most benchmarks.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Ivy Bridge and USB3.0 will be a huge diff. I even think the 2010 is SATA II, so the 2012 with SATA III will make the M4 takr advantage of its full potential and not bottleneck it.

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Yup just stick it right in and turn it on - you may need to select startup disk once it boots. It most likely wont boot fast the first time - dont be worried. :)

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yeah this should work. It'll take a bit on first boot to reconfigure its drivers and everything. Make sure that you Lion up to date before you insert the drive though. I don't remember which version of lion is the minimum required for the new MBPs.

6. jazzneel thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all! I meant Mountain Lion - the newest version. How do you select what to boot from when I first start it up with the ssd?

7. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Just hold down the option/alt button and pick it from the menu that pops up.