Transfer to Mac OS Classic Problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Blair230, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Blair230 macrumors regular

I recently acquired a G3 Powerbook in addition to my imacs. The G3 is running mac os 8.6 (using to run old programs I had from my early mac days). My problem is this:

I download classic apps on my iMac (which is running OS 10.6.1). I put them on a flash drive and when I transfer them to the powerbook, it does not recognize them. It actually wants to see them as the generic "document" and has the symbol for PC Exchange on it.

Is there something that OSX does not copy (resource wise) and is there a way to fix this?

Thanks

2. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Intel macs cannot run apps made in the Classic days. PowerPC macs can up to 10.4, but since you run 10.6, I guess you've got an Intel iMac.

You can try to download sheepsaver. It's a Classic emulator for Intel Macs. Only then you will be able to open those apps.

But I strongly suggest you to find replacement apps, except if you bought the PowerBook only for nostalgia...

3. Buzz Bumble Guest

I've never tried transferring Classic applications, but there are two potential problems.

Firstly, Mac OS X doesn't need the Resource Fork of Classic files (although it can read it, I don't know that it bothers to write them outside of the "Classic" environmant). It's possible that the downloaded files aren't given the appropriate Resource Fork settings in the first place for Mac OS 8.6 to know what the files are.

Secondly, if the Flash drive is formatted in a Windows format, then copying the files onto it would destroy the Resource Fork, again resulting in Mac OS 8.6 not knowing what the files are. Try reformatting the Flash drive in a Mac format using the Mac OS 8.6 machine and then using it to transfer the files.

The best bet is to download files that are compressed in a Zip or StuffIt archive. Transfer the archive itself, and then unarchive them under Mac OS 8.6. That way you should get all the original information intact.

The hiccup here is that you may have to plug the Mac OS 8.6 machine into the Internet to download StuffIt's free Unstuff application and/or an old Zip application ... if you can still get the old version somewhere. You could try places like MacOrchard.com which might still have active links.

4. Blair230 thread starter macrumors regular

Buzz- Your suggestions worked great. I reformatted the flash drive and downloaded the apps as compressed.

Also found a LOT of old "abandonware" @ macintoshgarden.org. Old system 6, 7, and 8 apps and games!

Brings back a lot of memories!!!

5. Buzz Bumble Guest

Glad it works ... I'm still using Mac OS 9 on a daily basis for both personal use and running my own business. :) Unfortunately I'm only on a dial-up connection otherwise I'd upload some of the freeware / shareware I've collected over the years.

I haven't had a chance to have a proper look yet, but someone else posted this link in another topic which might (or might not) be useful.
    www.abandonia.com
    It looks rather Windows-centric, but there might be some Mac bits there too.