Transfer to New Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Robejazz, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Robejazz macrumors member

Hi All,

I have a 2018 Mac Mini that I just set up (i5/8/256).... I have another one coming tomorrow (i5,16,512) - What's the best way to move stuff to the newer machine.... (I am wiping the old one and giving to my Daughter) - Is it OK to just use CCC to my External SSD and then "Restore" from the SSD to the New Mini - or should I just set up as new???

thanks for the help.

2. trifid macrumors 68000

trifid

Migration assistant works great, that's what I usually use when changing Macs. If you have a thunderbolt or usb-c cable, you could literally connect both Mac minis through that cable and transfer that way it would be much faster than wifi/ethernet.

3. F-Train, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018

F-Train macrumors 6502a

Last week, I exchanged an i5 mini for an i7. I use Carbon Copy Cloner, I know how to use Migration Assistant and I decided to set up the i7 as a new machine.

Why?

It's partly psychology, and partly the result of the fact that every time that I set up a new computer there are things that I learned about the former computer, even one two weeks old, that make me want to do a few things differently.

I've also been known to do fresh installs for a new Mac Operating System. As anyone will tell you, this is a complete waste of time. For me, that waste of time is an opportunity to get rid of a lot of stuff that I acquired over a year and no longer want.

Either there's a method to my madness, or I have too much time on my hands. I'm happy with either analysis :)

4. CoastalOR macrumors 68020

CoastalOR

CCC of your old Mini internal drive will work. During the setup of your new Mini attach the clone of the old Mini when Setup asks about migrating data (attach the clone on the SSD so configuration, data, and apps can be migrated to the new Mini). If you miss the initial setup, then the Migration app in the Applications>Utilities can be used to migrate. CAUTION: Be aware if you created the same User account in the initial setup as was on the old Mini then the Migration app is going to have problems merging the same account names.

5. antz359 macrumors newbie

antz359

I used migration assistant with a time machine backup, no problems. I have the i5/8GB/256 and it’s the bees knees- fast, plenty of memory. I’m waiting for some external enclosures which are c-c for a couple of SSDs I want use. Old 2010 is now a media server.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Fishrrman's "you can do it!" routine for migrating to a new Mac:

If you follow my instructions below, I guarantee a success rate of 98%:
    PRINT OUT these instructions and check them off as you go along.

1. BEFORE you do anything else, run a "final" backup on your old Mac. It can be either TM or a cloned backup using CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper. I prefer CCC.
    2. Shut down the old Mac and disconnect the USB drive
    3. Take the new Mini out of the box and set it up on the table. DO NOT PRESS THE POWER ON BUTTON until step 8 (read on). You don't want to begin setup until "the right moment".
    4. Connect the display.
    5. Connect the keyboard and mouse. I STRONGLY SUGGEST that you connect them DIRECTLY to the Mini.
    6. If you use a hub, leave the hub DISCONNECTED for now
    7. Connect your backup drive -- use a usb-c adapter if needed.

OK, we're ready-to-go, so let's get goin':
    8. Press the power on button for the first time.
    9. The Mini may ask for help "finding" the keyboard, just follow instructions.
    10. Begin setup. At the appropriate moment, setup assistant will ask if you wish to migrate from another Mac or drive. YES, you want to do this.
    11. "Aim" setup assistant at the external backup. Setup assistant will need a little time to "digest it all" (be patient)
    12. You will now see a list of things that can be migrated, such as applications, accounts, settings and data.
    13. I suggest that you select ALL of them.
    14. Let setup assistant "do its thing". It's going to TAKE A WHILE to move things over. Again, be patient.
    15. When done, you should see the login screen. Go ahead and login.
    16. Once logged in, things should look pretty much as they looked on your old Mac.
    17. You should check all your apps. Some may not run, and may require upgrading.
    18. You could disconnect the old TM backup and set it aside, or ... "repurpose it" to become the backup for the new Mini. I'd keep the old one around for a week or so, at least.

7. Robejazz thread starter macrumors member

Great replies ...l thanks. I’ll get this going today !

8. trifid, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018

trifid macrumors 68000

trifid

He could actually transfer directly from the old mac mini instead of the external drive, in fact I’m curious about the speed, in theory if he had a usbc or thunderbolt, it would go extremely fast...

EDIT: nevermind, I'm used to connecting macbooks via thunderbolt with migration assistant but with mac minis I guess because you'd need them both connected to displays/keyboard/mice which might not be as practical.