Transfer Verizon to AT&T with a twist

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SteadFast, Jun 18, 2009.

1. SteadFast macrumors newbie

First let me say hello, as I am soon to be a new iPhone user. This means I am new to the forum. I've done extensive research on how to change my Verizon number to AT&T but I have a twist. I don't want to cancel my Verizon account, I just want to transfer over my current Verizon phone number to my new iPhone (on AT&T). I then want to have some random number assigned to my Verizon account. Is this possible?

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

No, when your number gets ported your Verizon account is terminated.

3. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Yep. :(

4. w3cum macrumors regular

Actually it IS possible but you need to have the help of Verizon. They can assign your verizon phone a new number and hold your current phone number open. When AT&T port it over it will kill the open account but leave your other services intact. you just need to get Verizon to agree to it. Since you arnt canceling your account with them if you get a decent CSR at Verizon you shouldnt have any problem.... Good Luck

5. w3cum macrumors regular

Actually it IS possible but you need to have the help of Verizon. They can assign your verizon phone a new number and hold your current phone number open. When AT&T port it over it will kill the open account but leave your other services intact. you just need to get Verizon to agree to it. Since you arnt canceling your account with them if you get a decent CSR at Verizon you shouldnt have any problem.... I did this about a year ago moving a number from Verizon to Sprint.... Good Luck

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Are you still on contract with Verizon? If not, let it close down and just start a new Verizon account after you get your iPhone working.

Wouldn't that work?

7. SteadFast thread starter macrumors newbie

So I should head in to the local Verizon and while there get ATT on the phone and work things out that way?

'

8. SteadFast thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm still under Verizon contract. I need both accounts as I will use my AT&T when I travel over seas, and need my Verizon for my local calls here in Boston (a home phone if you will).

9. w3cum macrumors regular

I would go into verizon with AT&T on the phone and they should help you out. Don't do as the other poster said and let them close your account and re-open it... Verizon may not let you reopen an account for 6 months... My mom got burnt on that

10. SteadFast thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your help. I will let everyone know how I fair tomorrow. Wish me luck.