Transfer video from Sony HDD to 15"Macbook Pro Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maczazen, Mar 14, 2019.

1. maczazen macrumors newbie

maczazen

I have an important video file on the harddrive of a Sony RDR-HX680 HDD/DVD recorder which I want to transfer to my Macbook Pro. There is HDMI out from the Sony (+composite) but how do I import to my Macbook? The Macbook's own HDMI port is output only. I have tried with a HDMI-Thunderbolt adapter, but the Mac does not recognize the Sony. The same film is also on a DVD. How to transfer it into Imovie 10.1 or FCP X? Help is much appreciated!

2. chabig macrumors 603

3. maczazen thread starter macrumors newbie

maczazen

4. chabig macrumors 603

This all assumes that the device provides no direct access to the file on the hard drive. I took a quick look at the manual online and I believe that to be true.

5. Howard2k macrumors 68000

Howard2k

If you have it on DVD already, what about Handbrake? Assuming you have an external DVD drive of course. If not, they're cheap.

6. chabig macrumors 603

Good point Howard. His file is on the hard drive, but if he could burn it to DVD he could then rip it. That would be cheaper than buying a video capture device.

7. Howard2k macrumors 68000

Howard2k

He has it on DVD too, if I understand the original post correctly. :)

8. chabig macrumors 603

9. jerryk macrumors 601

You could
    Same thought. $20 external DVD drive connected to USB C port on mac via $20 USB A to C adapter.

10. maczazen thread starter macrumors newbie

maczazen

--- Post Merged, Mar 15, 2019 ---
    Thanks everybody. I'll find an external DVD drive or perhaps use an older MBP with built-in Superdrive. Hope that will work. Once again, thanks!