Transfer VLC media player from iPhone 4 to iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ehurdler, Mar 16, 2011.

1. ehurdler macrumors member

I have an iPhone 4, I had downloaded VLC media player from the App Store before Apple removed it a few months back. I use VLC media player all the time on my iPhone, works great! I should get my iPad 2 in the mail no later than tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone knows a way to transfer this app to my new iPad 2? I obviously haven't tried to do this after of yet since I don't have the new iPad in hand. Curious as to if anyone else has done this with VLC media player, or any other app that Apple removed from the app store? It is signed by Apple, so might I be able to manually add it to the iPad? I know with my iPhone which is jailbroken, I can find the .ipa file within the iTunes directory, double click it, and it shows as available to sync to the device.

I do not, I repeat, do not plan on jailbreaking the iPad 2 as of yet. Mainly because it isn't available at this point I don't believe for iOS 4.3, but despite that, I would like to use it as is for a bit regardless.

So if anyone has any suggestions on how to do this, or even if it is possible let me know. Otherwise if I figure it out without a jailbreak I will post my findings.

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

In iTunes, on your new iPad sync window, select the 'Apps' tab. Then select 'VLC'. You sync any app to any device like this.

3. eroplos macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any experience yet with VLC on the iPad 2? I'm am very curious as to if it will play 720p MKV files (like TV shows), because I watch a lot of American TV shows (I'm from Holland) and I don't want to convert them all the time..

4. WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

I know that you can sync the vlc app to your iPad, because I just did the same thing with my new iPad 2. I haven't tried watching any movies on it yet, though. I'll give it a shot and see if it works. I really hope that it gets back on the app store. It's so much easier to load them up on that app than it is to convert them all with handbrake.

5. DeeGee48 macrumors regular

DeeGee48

Well, you know the drill: they want you to buy movies from iTunes. And they are also probably desirous of keeping the studios happy by not making it too easy to rip and watch DVD's on the go. This is easy; using Handbrake to convert first is a P-I-T-A for most people. All those titles..... So did you see if they play yet?

6. thibaulthalpern macrumors regular

The removal of VLC from the App Store has nothing to do with Apple wanting you to buy movies from iTunes. It had to do with the original maker of VLC saying that the license of VLC does not allow it to be distributed under certain circumstances (what exactly the legal language and details are I don't know but has to do with somehow App store not being a free source or something like that) which the App store falls under. So, it was the original makers of VLC asking App Store to REMOVE VLC app, not Apple.

The VLC app was a port of the Mac version of the Mac programme made by someone else.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

As I understand it, part of the license of VLC requires it to be freely transferable, that is, if I have a copy, I can give it to you. When I download an app from the App Store, I can't give it to you, you have to go download your own copy.

Also, if you don't want to transcode videos, an option is to use apps like Air Video or Stream To Me. I like them because I don't end up with two copies of the same video, and I can pick and choose what I want to watch from my entire video collection instead of just what I can fit on my iPad.