transfer

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by gw0gvq, Jan 17, 2017.

1. gw0gvq Contributor

gw0gvq

How can I transfer some of my programs (not all) from my MBP to my MacBook Air.

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

One reliable way would be to do a full Time Machine backup, then restore that backup to your MacBook Air.
    However, due to the complexity of some programs, even if you transfer program folders, they might not run properly.

3. gw0gvq thread starter Contributor

gw0gvq

That's the way I thought but as you sa, about running properly may be the problem. That's why I wondered if anyone knew another way

4. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Each program has their own design to run properly. There are not many one-solution-fit-all solutions available.
    If I were you, I would restore the backup, and delete apps I don't want on MacBook Air later. At least this is quicker than installing all apps you want over again on MacBook Air.

5. Weaselboy, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is no automated way to do it. Both a TM restore and Migration Assistant are all or nothing with app transfers.

I would just use Migration Assistant during system setup then delete the apps you do not want.

No matter what you do, there will be some apps that will recognize they are on new hardware and make you reregister. MS and Adobe apps and both bad about this.

6. Left4DeadBoy macrumors regular

Left4DeadBoy

hi No idea due to not u-sing Mac . Well; that is I didnt use Mac for my entire life because they had nonmacs in schools way back and they can allways put Mac where it isnt .

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

Very helpful and related to the topic of this thread.

8. HDFan macrumors 6502

Assuming your MacBookAir is pristine, for programs which don't have history or data you are better off installing from scratch. As time goes on things build up and folders like Application Data, Preferences, Extensions, etc. get cluttered up. A fresh install from scratch removes all of this debris so you don't get issues with conflicts later on. A full restore keeps all of this debris.

If the application was installed via a simple drag/drop into Applications then you should be safe by just copying it over, as long as you don't care about any data or preferences which might have been saved on the old system.

If it was installed via an installer if you can identify the folders which had added application specific content you can try to copy that over. Places to look:

/Library/Application Support
    /Library/Extensions
    /Library/LaunchAgents
    /Library/LaunchDaemons
    /Library/PreferencePanes
    /Library/Preferences

~/Libary/Application Scripts
    ~/Library/Application Support
    ~/Library/LaunchAgents
    ~/Library/Preference Panes
    ~/Library/Preferences
    ~/Library/Services

and any folders in either /Library or ~/Library created by the program, such as /Library/Crashplan

And these are just the places I could come up quickly. I may have left out some.

So you can see that for any program that has an installer you are better off either doing a fresh install, or get it by a complete restore.

9. gw0gvq thread starter Contributor

gw0gvq

lol it's ok all I just redownloaded the ones I wanted to put on my Macbook Air and deleted them from my MacBook Pro.
    Thanks, all even Left4DeadBoy who I was going to be sarcastic and say'When I was in school Computers Mac, Windows, Linux or any other kind weren't even invented ;-) ' So you were fortunate, If we wanted to add up we had to use our fingers and thumbs etc. and whatever we could find , except calculators because they weren't allowed during school lessons ;-)

10. Kanunu macrumors 6502

Just a suggestion going forward but you might consider a folder called Uninstallers/Installers in your Applications folder. I have done that and whenever there is an installer or uninstaller file in a dmg, I copy it there. This is especially true for uninstallers as they hopefully will remove all the junk six layers deep that HDFan talks about. If space is a critical issue, you could copy to a portable HD.

I used to keep all my DMG files for downloaded applications on an external drive but recently decided that was a bit excessive and deleted them. Reading this thread has made me regret doing so. I recently migrated from my old iMac to an Air using Carbon Copy and I suspect that I brought a lot of junk along especially for infrequently used apps.

11. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Are you drunk? Please stop posting stuff like this. It is pointless & it doesn't help.

12. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

No offense intended to him, but I really think he is some kind of bot. Look at his other posts, they never make any sense. ;)

13. Ajsam macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Jan 28, 2017 ---
    Using this route works best for me. I just moved this week from a Mac mini to a new MBa13. I started fresh and installed al the programs I use as new.
    Any files or folders that I need reside on a WD my cloud and I can just access them when needed.