Transfering applications to new iMac using Super Duper

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gonzali7, Sep 8, 2013.

1. gonzali7 macrumors newbie

I have a late 2009 21.5" iMac running Mountain Lion. I'm about to take delivery of a late 2012 27" iMac also running Mountain Lion. I use Super Duper for all my backups, backing up to Seagate GoFlex and Backup Plus drives via FireWire 800. When I get the new iMac can a load my applications from my Super Duper bootable backup to the new computer. Or do I need to track down all my disks or re-download from the web for those applications that were downloaded (e.g. Super Duper!)? By the way I have USB 3.0 adapters for my Seagate backup drives. Thanks for the help.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

For the sake of your sanity use the Migration Assistant. Or a restore from Time Machine backup. It will move everything and keep it all nice and in order.

3. MacMilligan macrumors 6502

You'd need to boot from the backup and then clone it to the new drive. It is no problem to do on something like a Mac Pro, but its a bit more involved with an iMac. I'd use migration assistant.

You may need to deactivate the licenses on certain programs to reauthorize them on the new machine. Adobe requires this.