Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rafs32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
Hi guys

As I have no internet (see my previous thread), I was wondering how to install applications (software)? I have tried many different software installations.

I get varying msgs from this file can not open in DOS. OR the driver is not supported.

As a newbie to mac and crossing over from windows, what could I be doing wrong?

cheers

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
It would really help if you explained what kinds of applicatons you were trying to install, your current system and operating system.

You cannot install Windows applications on the Mac if that's what you are trying (.exe files). You need the Mac equivalent of those apps.

rafs32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
Hi

PC spec
MAC MINI 2.0 CTO
2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512
120GB Serial ATA drive
SuperDrive 8x DL
Mac OS X-GBR

I am trying to install Samsung printer. Open Office. Microsoft word, Motorola Phone Tools, Canon Camera (as iphoto reduces the quality if a lot of my pics), as well as most importantly Arcor WLAN. (I have tried add a computer from an original user.

Now I understand why it can not execute this as it is an exe file.
Is there any way round this?
Or could I install from the Arcor disk at all?

Cheers!

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
I need to dig a little deeper. Which of those apps are .exe files/apps?

There is no way 'around this'. You're trying to install Windows applications on a Macintosh Operating system.

You need to check if the drivers and applications are made for mac. If they are, try to get a hold of them somehow. If not, you clearly should have investigated a little more before buying your mac.
It's either that or installing Boot Camp and Windows on the Mini and using your apps from there.

LouisBlack

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
Balham, London
Mac applications are usually downloaded as a .DMG file which is a disk image. Once you mount that you will be given a file with an extension .App. If the applications you are installing aren't in this format, they probably won't work (with some exceptions like Office 2008 and Final Cut that have installers).

What version of Office are trying to install? And what about iPhoto makes your pictures look worse? I use iPhoto for all my pictures and they look great.

rafs32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
Appreciated

hi Jiddick and Louis

The problem was resolved by a simple password change for my router.

As for office, neooffice was my solution. Just need to find a driver for my Samsung ML-1610 and my lexmark X2310. Then I am sorted.

cheers for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.