Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
I have an eMac and it has some apps on it that I want on my imac like microsoft office words, etc, how do I transfer it to my imac?

Buzz Bumble

Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand
I have an eMac and it has some apps on it that I want on my imac like microsoft office words, etc, how do I transfer it to my imac?

You don't. You re-install the applications from the original CD / DVD, after deleting the applications from the eMac (unless you own multiple licences)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I believe if the emac has a FW port, you could use the migration assistant. You/d need to boot the eMac in TargetDisk mode, but after that, you'd be able to transfer your files and apps to the new computer.

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
I believe if the emac has a FW port, you could use the migration assistant. You/d need to boot the eMac in TargetDisk mode, but after that, you'd be able to transfer your files and apps to the new computer.

Hi, thanks, I transferred the apps using firewire. What you do is you connect both machines then you turn off the machine that you wwant the files transfered from, in my case, the emac, then you hold down the T button while the machine is starting up and I think it goes into TargetDisk mode. It worked beautifully!!! The emac hard drive showed up on my imac and all i did was transfer the apps I wanted into my application folder. Worked perfectly and easy. And, the Apps on the emac is not deleted.

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
You don't. You re-install the applications from the original CD / DVD, after deleting the applications from the eMac (unless you own multiple licences)

The above steps worked. If I had the CD/DVD from the particular app on my eMac, I would of done it that way but I did'nt so the firewire/ TargetDisk worked perfectly. Now I have Microsoft Office 2004 on my eMac and on my iMac.

Buzz Bumble

Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand
Except that it's not legal to do that since you're breaking the license agreement and is called software piracy.

Even if you have the Home / Student version of Mac Office (which does allow three installs), you're using the same license code on both computers, which is not allowed.

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Except that it's not legal to do that since you're breaking the license agreement and is called software piracy.

Even if you have the Home / Student version of Mac Office (which does allow three installs), you're using the same license code on both computers, which is not allowed.

Well, the eMac was donated to me with the apps already installed but without the CD except for the software restore CD's and the 2 OS X install discs. The school that donated the eMac to me said they could not find the office disks.

I am eventually going to erase everything from my eMac since I will be upgrading to Tiger.

BTW, I did'nt install Office, I transferred it from one mac to another.

Buzz Bumble

Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand
If you're transferring the license, then legally you must delete Office from the eMac. You're only allowed to have it on one computer (for each license code).

In fact legally the computer should never have been given to you without the original cds (or at least access to them since the school would probably have been allowed the three installs, so might need to keep them at the school), or without Office being uninstalled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.