Transfering Bootcamp partition to new MBP using Winclone

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jsnuff1, Apr 23, 2010.

1. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

I have Windows 7 installed on my mid 2007 MBP and just purchased the new MBP. I used winclone to clone the partition, and transfered it to the new partition on the new MBP.

Everything went smoothly with winclone, but windows fails to launch, it crashed on the load screen and trying to restart pops the windows error screen saying that windows failed to start due to new hardware configuration.

I tried safe mode as well as booting with the disc and selecting repair.

Any other tips to get it to work? Really dont feel like installing it all over again.

2. oculus42 macrumors 6502

I'm guessing you need the boot code that comes from installing Boot Camp. If you start the Boot Camp install and then clone the drive, it might work.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Windows isn't very portable, so if you change the underlying hardware you will confuse it easily. Safe mode tries to get around that by using generic drivers form major hardware components.

What does it do in safe mode? The exact same error?

If anyone wants to try something similar I would suggest switching to generic drivers FIRST before you clone and transfer.

B