Transfering Contacts..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coolant113, Jun 19, 2008.

1. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

Last year when i bought my iPhone i took it to the at&t store and paid 15.00 dollars to get al my contacts from my current verizon phone transfered to my iphone... so they put it on the usb flash drive and told me to open it up and it would go right onto the iphone... so i came home and put the usb drive into my Mac... and the file on there could not be opened by any of my applications... it was simply not mac friendly... so i went back to the at&t store and asked them why it did not work on my mac... and they said oh it only works on windows.... so i wanted a refund and they would not give me one.... So i figured i could use a extra usb flash drive, so i decided not to argue with them.. but i thought to myself apple makes the iphone... at&t should have there contact transfer systems multi o/s support.. after all its a Apple product so make it complatible with Apples... and windows... not just friggen windows...

so hopefully this time around there systems will support multi o/s.. and put the contact file into mac format.....

I dont know if this was just me or everybody who did this and tried on an apple...
    :apple::apple:

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

can't say I tried to do it your way I just copied all of my contacts to my sim and that went to my iPhone then got a lil app can t remember then name now and it just transferee all of my sim stuff to my iPhone and now I just sync it with address book and love it my list of contacts its so long and complete and and backed up everytime I plug my phone.

3. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I don't get your dilema this time around. If you have a mac and an iPhone, all your contacts should be in your address book. In which case, all you have to do is sync with the backup from your current phone, and you should have EVERYTHING that was on your old iPhone on your new one? What AT&T did to you last year was wrong. Either way, it will be better this time around. :)

4. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeah i just figured he doesnt have any info in his adress book since I was thinking it was a new mac, but if it isn.t then maybe he hasnt been usinga ddress book?... had he done that he d have all his stuff in there...

5. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Holy crap, lay off the ellipsis ("..."). Sentences end with periods. Makes your post hard to read.

I don't understand what the problem is this time either. Your iPhone syncs to your Mac. Everything that's on your iPhone now (contacts, calendar entries, music, videos, etc) will be transferred to your new iPhone as soon as you plug it in to your Mac. Don't rely on AT&T to transfer stuff, ever. In fact, there's probably a way you could have gotten the contacts off the Verizon phone yourself too. I did it with my wife's old Motorola -- just plugged in via USB and was able to sync the contacts through the Mac's sync services.

But the point is, you don't have to worry about transferring anything as long as you have all that stuff syncing whenever you plug your iPhone in. A new iPhone will be populated with all that stuff the first time you sync.

6. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Not everybody with a Mac uses Address Book -- or not everybody updates it all the time. Just before I got my iPhone, I knew I had to update my Address Book, because there were a lot of contacts I had entered in directly into my old Razr only. I just did it manually, because it didn't take THAT long, and I wanted to make sure it was exact -- plus I could tweak entries as I added them.

I know lots of people with Macs who've never used Address Book -- so having a way to import contacts from another phone is useful to know.

7. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Me being one of those people, but I use Outlook on my PC to sync my contacts.

8. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Well if you don't use address book, I am pretty sure software update 2.0 allows you to store all your conteacts to SIM so that you can do it that way.

9. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

If your Verizon phone supports bluetooth (or connect your phone via a USB adapter to your mac) you can use iSync to sync your contacts with Address book. Address book will sync with the iphone ....

I used this method to update the contacts on my old RAZR while I wait for the 3G iphone.

10. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I seriously doubt that, but stranger things have happened :D

11. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

There is ALWAYS a way to get PC info/files onto a Mac when it comes to contacts.

Sometimes a quick and easy way is to open the file in a PC app (outlook, excel, etc), and convert it to Tab delimited, or something cross platform.