Transfering Data (or use old hard drive)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zborg, Jul 15, 2009.

1. zborg macrumors newbie

Hello folks,

I have today received my shiny new macbook pro - very excited!I currently have a macbook, and I previously upgraded the hard drive to 320 GB (same as the new Macbook Pro). What I wanted to do was just swap the hard drives - however when I put the macbook hard drive in the macbook pro it didnt boot. Pressing ALT on startup it sees the hard drive but just hangs (doesnt even show the apple sign).

I dont have all the application disks so dont really want to start from a fresh install - I was thinking of cloning the disk with super duper, but that probably will have the same effect of swapping the disk!

Any idea on the best way to get the application (and my mail etc data) to the new laptop?

2. tallguy macrumors regular

Well if you were going to use your old hard drive in your new mac you have to format the drive which unfortunately erases all the data from it. You can just use a firewire cable to connect the new mac to the old one and then use migration assistant to transfer the things you want to the new drive.

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

If you have a wireless network it is easy.

Put the macbook drive back into the macbook and then boot up with it. Put them both on the same wireless network. Then go with both the MBP and MB to migration assistant. Select "From another mac" on the MBP. Select "To another Mac" on the MB. Then enter the passcode that shows up and transfer whatever files you want.

If you don't have a wireless network you will probably have to boot the macbook in target disk mode which I can explain if you want.