Transfering data to my new SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mausoc, Oct 24, 2015.

1. mausoc macrumors newbie

Hello, so I'll be upgrading my mbp to an ssd, I'll do a clean install of El Capitan in my new ssd but I need to know if I can transfer data from my old Hard drive to my new one by connecting it with a sata to usb3.0 when the upgrade is done, I just need some documents from my older drive, what I'm doubting is if my older drive does work like an external drive just by connecting it with the special cable?
    What I'm trying to say is that I don't understand how my old drive will work as an external disk if it has a whole operating system already installed in it.
    Does the OSX works as a whole different thing on a disk?
    If the disk is outside the computer and connected by a sata to usb wouldn't the computer boot with the older disk?
    And if I do so, will I see my external disk just as I see a usb in the finder's sidebar when I connect it to my port?
    Sorry for the long post, I'm new to this and I always make things look harder than they are haha

2. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Just time machine backup and restore onto the SSD. Believe me, much easier I just did this upgrade a few months ago. This way, you can use your old hard drive as a time machine backup as well.

3. mausoc thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I checked up on that time machine thing but I don't plan on copying ALL data to the new ssd, I actually am just copying like 10 pages documents. I'm leaving my new SSD free of anything except for logic pro x. Do you know about that migration assistant thing? I know it helps for transfering data between disks but again I think it only transfers whole folders and it's not as customizable as I want

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Just drag the documents to the new location on the SSD...

5. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Or copy them to a flash drive before you do the replacement. They can't be that big if it's just 10 Pages documents.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Using a USB to SATA cable will work just fine.

An external hard drive is just a regular hard drive stuck inside a casing with a USB to SATA port.

You choose boot order, by default the computer will boot the internal drive.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Best tip I can offer:

Use either a USB3 enclosure, dock or dongle to "prep and test" the new SSD -BEFORE- you actually install it into the MacBook.

This way, you'll know it will work before you attempt the drive swap.

And if something isn't right, you'll still have a "working MacBook" to assist in locating the source of the problem.

8. mausoc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank
    thanks so much for the tip it's actually a great idea

9. mausoc thread starter macrumors newbie

Perfect that's what I wanted to know thank you for the answer