Transfering Data

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jmufellow, Aug 9, 2007.

  1. jmufellow macrumors regular

    Jun 17, 2005
    I'm planning on buying a new iMac soon. I will want to transfer my data from my old 1.33 GHz G4 ibook to my new iMac via an ethernet cable. Will I need a crossover cable or will a regular ethernet cable work??

    The reason why I ask this is because I looked on apple's page where they list which macs require a crossover cable, and the ibook is listed as both requiring a crossover cable and not requiring one.

    The first list says that ibooks (with dual USB and later) don't require a crossover cable. But then the second list says that the "ibook" and the "firewire ibook" do require a crossover cable.

    My ibook has 2 USB ports and a firewire port, so which list is right? See the picture I included...
  2. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

    Jun 10, 2003
    why not get a Firewire cable and use Migration Assistant to transfer your data? Worked like a charm when I moved from my eMac to MacBook
  3. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a


    Aug 6, 2006
    Your iBook has Dual USB, so you should be fine. The first iBooks did not have Firewire, IIRC.

    But as other poster said, why not get a firewire cable?
  4. jmufellow thread starter macrumors regular

    Jun 17, 2005
    Because I already have an ethernet cable. I don't want to have to buy a firewire cable to use just once.

Share This Page