Transfering: Documents, Setting, Emails, files, etc.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by g725s, Aug 30, 2009.

1. g725s macrumors member

I will be updating two Macs to 10.6 in the comming days and want to get prepared.

If you want to do a fresh "Erase and Install" of 10.6, what would be the best way to transfer your emails, photos, documents, files, settings, iCal calendars, Network settings, etc. back into the new fresh install?

One of my Macs has 10.4.11 (I am most concerned about this one) and the other 10.5. But the one with 10.5 does not really need any info transfered. I'm more concerned about my iMac with emails, photos, iCal calendars, documents and settings that I'd like to have back after a fresh install.

I have emails on both Mail and Entourage 08'. I would like to retain all those emails and the email addresses and setting for both.

I also have some network settings I did for my sons DS Lite and Wii that I'd rather not have to spend the time redoing.

Of course all the Documents, Photos, and Files are backed up to an external HD so that is really not a problem, but if I could just easily transfer them back all the better.

I've done some searching in the past about saving emails for both Mail and Entourage 08'. I followed the steps and have routinely saved what I think are the correct files for those to my external.

2. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

You have a couple of choices depending on how much you want to backup things. I think you'd prefer the first option here, but I'm throwing in the second one in just in case you decide to just clone the entire thing and because it's one I've used with great success.

Favorite Backup Freeware

HTH ... Cheers! :cool:
    iBackup Pick and choose the files and folders you want to back up

Carbon Copy Cloner
    - get an exact copy of your Mac to restore in case of an emergency

3. g725s thread starter macrumors member

Your first option show Carbon Copy Cloner and iBackup. Sounds like you use iBackup.

Can I do a complete clone of a my HD and it would update a fresh install of 10.6 from a 10.4 system? Resetting all settings, emails, network settings and such. I'm not sure how that works out.

I do have a retail box of 10.5 I've not used yet. I could install that on my 10.4 system first and do Time Machine if that would help? Not sure how that would work either since I've not used it.

My friend uses Carbon Copy Cloner and suggests that too. And he has been a schools Mac admin in the past.

But is it known yet that I could for sure Carbon Copy Clone my 10.4 system and tranfer it to a fresh install of 10.6? Would it transfer all the emails and setting from both Mail and Entourage 08' and all my other setting and files?

Also I will be updating Mail from 06' to 09' as well if that matters by getting the new iLife 09'.

4. G.T. macrumors 6502a

For the one running leopard would time machine not be enough?

5. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

I haven't been through the SL upgrade myself, but as I understand it, you would be able to migrate those settings back in using CCC. (Big OOPS on switching up those links - I've used CCC and think you'll be fine on both machines with it. The only thing you'll have to do with the iMac is double duty because you'll have to upgrade it to Leopard before moving on to SL.)

I found a very nice step-by-step procedure that might help you with the newer machine - and the older one too once you get it at 10.5. You can skip the first part of this if you don't care to remove the dupes but, heck, why not, right? Moving day is always the best time to remove the clutter, so to speak!

6. g725s thread starter macrumors member

I don't really need to back that one up. And am not concerned with it really. Sorry for the confusion. I probably should not have even mentioned that one.

I want to backup the one currently running 10.4 and all it's setting and files and transfer them to the same computer after a fresh "erase and install".

7. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

That's what I want to do, and no one has a solution for it!!!!! For the love of God, can someone answer this simple question? How so I erase and install from Tiger and keep everything else just as is? Documents, Applications, iLife which I don't have the discs for, etc etc.....

8. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

Technically, the direct upgrade to SL, using the $29 version, violates the EULA so I suspect few want to go on record explaining how it's done. Here's a link to the process as described by LifeHacker. Walks through a clean install.

9. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

:) Thank you. From the bottom of my aorta.

An answer: How simply grand. :)