Transfering entire itunes library from one mac to another

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by appledrone, Jun 20, 2008.

1. appledrone macrumors regular

Can anyone explain to me how transfer an entire itunes library from one mac to another(including album covers), I want to avoid duplicate tracks and also want to be able to sift out some crap after, if i just delete a track will it actually be gone or will it still be hanging around in the hard drive somewhere?

I did a similar thing with an iphoto library and cocked it up and ended up with 3 sets of everything (despite clicking "dont import duplicates") - Is there any way of clearing duplicates out automatically? I lost the will to live after doing 2500 manually

2. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

I had to do exactly that not long ago actually. Just drag the iTunes folder in your Music folder to the same location to the other computer. Launch iTunes and everything should be just like it was on the first comp. You may have to authorize the computer you are transferring it to if you have iTunes Store stuff.

Also when you delete tracks in iTunes you have to make sure you are in the Library and not in a playlist to make sure it is actually moved to the Trash.

3. appledrone thread starter macrumors regular

how do i drag the itunes folder from one mac to another?

4. appledrone thread starter macrumors regular

that thread explains how to move the library to another hard disk or external drive, I need to move it from one mac to another via wireless, tbase etc... any ideas anyone??

5. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

Go to System Preferences-Sharing-and turn on Filesharing on the mac you want to to move the library to. Depending on what version of OS X it has it might be slightly different. On the first comp with do Cmd-K or Go-Connect to Server and type in the IP address of the other mac. Enter the user name and password of that other mac's account and you should be connected to it and be able to navigate through it just like you're using it. Open 2 windows, one with the iTunes folder visible and another with the Music folder of the other mac. Drag the iTunes folder to the other mac's Music folder.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Since the directory names will most likely all be the same just be careful which one you drag and drop… I speak from bitter experience. :(

7. appledrone thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for that, how do I find out the ip address? Also does anyone have an answer to my other question in the thread re iPhoto?

8. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

The IP address can be found in Network in System Prefs. Yes, like arkitect mentioned, make sure you don't already have an iTunes libary on the other mac or you will end up replacing it. As for iPhoto, I really don't know why it duplicated stuff for you.

9. appledrone thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the info everyone! i have one problem though, I do already have a library on the other mac that i dont want to lose, is there ant way i can add from the old mac to the new?

10. alpinadvl macrumors regular

I believe what you want to do is

under "FILE" menu....

click on "LIBRARY >"

select "Organize Library..."

in the pop up window, select "Consolidate Library"

This will consolidate all the music file in one place (on the "other mac" where you already have music files)

A BETTER SOLUTIION....
    1. open itunes on the "other mac"... Let's call this "old music library" :

GO TO FILE > LIBRARY > and select "Export Library...:"

(this creates an export file...with all playlists info etc..)

2. "Consolidate" the "new music library" to whichever final destination you want it to be.... the old mac... the new mac.... the internal hard drive.... the external hard drive.... wherever.

(this will copy all of these files to that new location (where you want it to ultimately be located)

3.Open itunes..... if you need to.... hold down option while opening itunes... and navigate / select the itunes library you want (the new one we are creating)... and allow itunes to load.

4. Go to the exported file you created in step 1 .... and drag and drop it onto the itunes icon... or anywhere in the itunes library... this should start a copying / transfer process

whalla !.... combined itunes libraries.