Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
I need to set up passwords for my email accounts on the iPhone that didn't get saved in the backup in iTunes.

How can I transfer a file to the iPhone that I can then open and copy and paste the passwords?

This isn't a sync question. Just need to do this once.

Thanks

m

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I need to set up passwords for my email accounts on the iPhone that didn't get saved in the backup in iTunes.

How can I transfer a file to the iPhone that I can then open and copy and paste the passwords?

This isn't a sync question. Just need to do this once.

Thanks

m

I would do this using Dropbox. That, or try emailing the file to yourself and open it up on the iPhone. I believe you should be able to do it that way.

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
I would do this using Dropbox. That, or try emailing the file to yourself and open it up on the iPhone. I believe you should be able to do it that way.

OK, I should have looked to see if there were a dropbox "app" (of course there is!). That should let me work with my files from the iPhone so I can open them, copy text out of them, etc.

Thank you!!!! :)

- m

eww7633

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2008
Go to iCloud.com, open Notes, type passwords, open Notes app on iPhone, copy and paste.

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
That's good to know. Trying to avoid iCloud if possible.

Thanks

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
Why? Seems simpler to use a built in solution, right?

Absolutely, but only for non-sensitive material (a resume for example). iCloud has already been compromised (at least) once and who knows who Apple gives keys to.

:(

-

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Absolutely, but only for non-sensitive material (a resume for example). iCloud has already been compromised (at least) once and who knows who Apple gives keys to.

:(

-

When was iCloud compromised? I don't remember that, nor did a Google search turn up anything (other than internet speculation from a few individuals).

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
When was iCloud compromised? I don't remember that, nor did a Google search turn up anything (other than internet speculation from a few individuals).

Regardless of hackability, I would never store confidential things in a hard drive on the Internet ("the cloud") I don't personally control.

However, here's one story I found easily:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/08/apple-amazon-mat-honan-hacking/

(I typed in "iCloud Hacked" into the DuckDuckGo search engine.)

-- m

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Regardless of hackability, I would never store confidential things in a hard drive on the Internet ("the cloud") I don't personally control.

-- m

These "hacks" seem to be less common than someone breaking into your house and stealing the documents from your desk/hard drive. I understand people's concern, but so far there hasn't been enough evidence to scare away myself or many others from using these cloud services, especially iCloud. They have too much riding on these services, their names, finances, etc., to not take extreme precautions to protect the data.

People break in to houses every day to steal valuables. There aren't many examples on the internet of iCloud being hacked (and none big enough to elicit major news articles).

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL

-- m

How is dropbox different then? It is stored on a hard drive in the cloud as well..

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57483998-83/dropbox-confirms-it-was-hacked-offers-users-help/

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
These "hacks" seem to be less common than someone breaking into your house and stealing the documents from your desk/hard drive. I understand people's concern, but so far there hasn't been enough evidence to scare away myself or many others from using these cloud services, especially iCloud. They have too much riding on these services, their names, finances, etc., to not take extreme precautions to protect the data.

People break in to houses every day to steal valuables. There aren't many examples on the internet of iCloud being hacked (and none big enough to elicit major news articles).

I don't disagree with what you're saying ... in principle.

Yet it seems not a day goes by when there's not a story about another service being compromised or some issue with an existing service.

What you put in the cloud is a very personal thing. For me, I even have an OSX Server so I can sync contacts and calendar locally. That information isn't really sensitive, but, for me, those data are just something I don't want to have to have read some long T&C document or wonder how this cloud vendor or that cloud vendor may change things later.

I read on one site that Apple stores the encryption keys in the same directory as the data in iCloud. If true, that's hardly secure, right?

- m

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
you can always use 1Password and sync via wi-fi.

Yes, but this assumes I want to sync the entire 1Password file, which I don't. I just want a few passwords on the iPhone.

Thanks,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.