Transfering files from MacBook to MacBook Pro.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fstfrwrd, Jun 11, 2008.

1. fstfrwrd macrumors regular

Hi,

i'm buying a new MBP soon and I was wondering what the quickest / easiest way is to get my files from the MB over to the MBP?

Can you just connect the two with a firewire cable and then drag files from one system to another?

thanks in advance

2. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

Yes, you can use a FireWire cable between the MBP and the MB when you're setting up the MBP. During the initial setup it will ask you if you want to transfer files from another computer, this is where you can do it. Or, another option is to backup the MB using Time Machine to an external HD, and then during the initial setup again on the MBP, you can select restore files from a Time Machine backup. Hope this helps! :)

3. fstfrwrd thread starter macrumors regular

so basically, i buy a firewire 400 cable, connect them when i boot up my MBP for the first time and then choose the option to transfer the files from one computer to another?

can you select which files you want to transfer to the MBP or does it automatically import your entire HD?

4. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

It automatically imports everything, including account info and any software activation codes, to your new MBP. It (SetUp Assistant) is by far the easiest and most comprehensive way to do the transfer.

5. cazlar macrumors 6502

Yep, if all goes well (and I haven't heard much about it not), running Migration Assistant should finish with your MBP looking exactly like your MB, with login accounts, keychain, apps, volumes, prefs, everything running the same way. Just on your new machine. You can tell it to only do certain things instead of everything if you prefer. It's actually extremely cool IMO, and I'm looking forward to testing it out when the refurb 2.4 MBP I ordered arrives.

If for some reason you want to do it manually, you could use a network cable to transfer files, or better yet put the MB in target disk mode (start up holding T) and transfer via firewire, as if the MB was an external hard disk. This is how Migration Assistant does the transfer I think too (but automated of course!).

6. fstfrwrd thread starter macrumors regular

yes, i'd like to do it manually.
    i'm not satisfied with the way i structured everything in my current macbook, so the new MBP will give me a clean start, if you know what i mean.

the only things i need to transfer are my music and some school folders.
    i've got a load of crap apps installed on my current macbook and i guess it would take longer to uninstall and delete them, then it would to start over entirely with my new MBP.

so can someone walk me through on how to transfer a selection of files to my new macbook pro with a firewire 400 cable?

7. G-Com macrumors regular