Transfering files from PC to Mac at Apple Store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kyle23, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Kyle23 macrumors member

Kyle23

Sorry if this was covered somewhere else before.....
    I am buying my first mac, shooting for a new MBP, with the updates on Tuesday. I have tons of really important files on my PC that I need to put onto the new mac, is that offered at the apple store? Also whats going to happen to all of my Itunes songs when I switch over to a new laptop?
    Thanks in advance for your help

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No, it's not offered as a standard service. However, if you ask nicely in advance, they may facilitate you, especially if they can arrange to have it done at a time when they are not especially busy. They did it for me, when I bought my MBP last April and had all of my files (including iTunes) files transferred from my trusty old Toshiba to my just purchased MBP.
    Cheers and good luck

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I know they do PC to Mac transfers, but what about Linux to Mac?

4. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

i used to work at apple retail...

basically if you have apple transfer the files for you when you buy the computer you need to:

drop all of the files you want transferred from the PC to a Folder on the Desktop. They will only transfer a FOLDER from the DESKTOP. That is it. So you need to create a folder on the pc and drop everything in there that you want transferred.

Your PC needs to at least run WIN XP. Apple will hold onto your PC and Mac for 2 full days to transfer all the files. Bring your power cord no matter what, some people would forget then the process takes longer because then you need to visit the store again to give them the power cord.

so, if you have an external hard drive you can drop all the files from the PC to the external drive. Then you take your Mac home same-day and you can drag and drop the files to the new Mac yourself instead of waiting 2 days.

Their transfer process is relatively simple and takes 2 days to complete. I'd recommend doing it yourself. It will save you time.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

To add.

This is also a great time to backup your data.

Backing up to an external yourself, then onto your new Mac is a great way to get started backing up your data.