Transfering files from PC to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bprice, Jun 18, 2007.

1. bprice macrumors member

sorry for the grumpiness...yes i did a search and no .they didn't work...I know I’m giving up a little soon but. .…I just got my Mac Mini last week and I want to import files from my PC.I’ve done a search and the closest I’ve come to an”easy” solution was move2mac.Anybody have a fairly clear-cut simple way to migrate my files?
    I’m using ethernet.i don’t have a dvd writer or exHD so that’s out.

I tried connecting through the macs network server and it doesn’t recognized my pc.(the ip is correct)

Please just a SIMPLE KNOWN solution to a simple problem (isn’t it??) with easy to understand(I don’t know the terminology… I’m new) directions without millions of sideways options (like did you try wifi smpt.hdc f*ck….) ..can you tell I’m frustrated as hell and want to be done with this effing thing…..please help …I want to eat todays dinner before tommorow….
    thanks.

Butch

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

whats the size of the data need to be transfered?
    what internet connection speed do you have?

is internet HDD possible?

3. bprice thread starter macrumors member

a lot (gigs) and as i said ...I have no idea what you are talking about,;) .Thanks.

bp

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

An important question: What are the files = as in, what programs created them?

If you have files created with, say Microsoft Word on the PC, you will need a either Word or a program compatible with Word .DOC files on the Mac, in order to open and use them.

In many cases there are equivalents. In some cases, like MS Access, there is no Mac equivalent and no good alternative for opening and editing files. For those files, youwill have to explore whether you can save out the information from the Windows application as some common file format that can be used in other programs. This usually involves losing some document formatting or programming.

Other programs, like email programs, hold their information in proprietary file formats that cannot be directly transferred - you may have to go through a process to extract and convert the files

There is no single answer

Here are some resources
    http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/migrate/
    http://www.macwindows.com/
    http://www.sigsoftware.com/info/mactowindows.html
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=19652

You can network the two machines simply by running an Ethernet cable between the two of them. You then have to turn on Windows file sharing on one or both of the machines. Instructions are in some of the links above.

5. bprice thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Canada,

they are migrateable files( I already checked before ).First and foremost i need to CONNECT....:(
    .I tried this mac tutorial and it didn’t work.

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/migrate/

1. Connect your Mac to your PC using a standard Ethernet cable.
    2. Make sure that both computers are turned on.
    3. In the Finder on your Mac, choose Connect to Server from the Go menu to open the window.
    4. Type your PC's network address in the Server Address text box using one of these formats:
    o smb://DNSname/ShareName
    o smb://IPaddress/ShareName
    5. Click Connect.
    6. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your PC's workgroup name, user name, password, and the volume or folder you wish to access.
    7. Your PC volume should appear on your Mac Desktop.
    8. Open the volume and drag and drop files directly from it to anywhere on your Mac.
    9. When finished, drag your PC volume to the Trash to unmount it.

What/where is the “share” and “DN” name…I know the IP .I can only find the computers and workgroup name and the computer description(they didn’t work).I don’t remember the pasword and don’t know where to find or reset it.thanks for any help.

BP

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

What is unstated in the instructions above: Before your Mac can see your PC, you have to have file sharing turned on on the PC. And you have to make sure that it is not blocked by any of the Firewall or security products that you may have running on that PC.

I recommend you disconnect the machine from the internet or network router entirely, and connect the two point to point with an ethernet cable. Then you can safely turn off firewalls on the PC

Ignore DNSName

Use the PC's IP address and don;t worry about a SHARE name (double check the IP address on the PC by opening up the C> Command line and typing IPCONFIG )

Or simpler hit Command K on the Mac, and then Browse, and give it a minute to discover the PC. (you may have to try Workgroup or some other folder icon - depending on whether your PC was set up with an explicit Workgroup name.) When I do that, my PC shows up as "Trevors_P4" and I can connect by clicking on it. It then asks for my username and password (Of the PC*).

*If you have a username and password on the PC and don't remember it, there's a limited amount we can do to help on that score: You need to discover or reset a password. The latest issue of PCWorld has some workarounds for that - go and get it from the news stand, or Google.

If that is not doable, then it may be worth your while to just buy a DVD burner ($35 if you have a desktop or tower PC) or an external hard drive with USB 2.0 ($80 and up) and do it that way.

7. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

bprice - you two-timing, cross-posting ....

I even booted parallels, just for you!

I never....

8. bprice thread starter macrumors member

thanks Canada as soon as i calm down (next monday!!) i may give this a try.what a crock of crap to do something these things should do so easily without all the tech head BS....a simple click this program would keep more crossovers.

i've invested more BS time into this clunker than I ever did with a cheap pc.

right now i' seriously thinking of taking it back .....what a effin pain ......my crappy pc works easier and better

....sorry Big i'm a HOE ...who hates macs at the moment...:mad: ..i'll get better..

b"not happy" price

9. bprice thread starter macrumors member

Canada I really do appreciate the time and effort you've put into this....however ..it's not helping yet.

you are assumimng i know things i don't like C> command line and enable file sharing then browse huh??????......what !!!!!!!!!!.........where!?????????????????????????????????????? please be VERY specific i'm not as smart as you.I'm about to make a mac mini pie out of this thing...

btw i did the above still doesn't work...turned off the firewalll..i haven't a clue about the share files except what i set up in my network....

anyone that dares to answer my grouchy questions please be very SPECIFIC leaving no stones unturned.Please no acronyms uwithout explanations I haven't a clue waht the f they are.thsi sis acomedy of errors nothing works....

please do not suggest going out and buying ANYTHING to help fix it Ii will just get rid of it if that what it needs.thanks

b"very tired"price

10. Paiger macrumors newbie

Just now figuring things out

Hi,
    I am having the exact same problem and cannot figure out how to enable sharing on my PC....or maybe I'm just not being patient enough. I can sympathize completely with your situation...same issues with wtf is a sharename!!
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    Paiger

11. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

The command line on a PC is the "Run" in the start menu. Click start, then run. You can even get to the command prompt (run) by hitting the Windows key on your keyboard and hitting R (with the windows key still held down). Then type the following (ex quotes) "cmd" then when the box comes up (will be black background with white or grey basic text) type (again without quotes) "ipconfig /all" and all the info you need will pop up about your IP address. I assume that since you don't know about this that you've never set up a static IP before. There are some good tutorials on that on Portforward.com (with pictures and exact directions for the non-techie)

If your networking, it's always a good idea to set up static IP's as Canada said to prevent IP conflicts and the like. I suppose I lost you here and I realise your frustrated. I'm about the head off to bed right now as it's almost 1am here but I will sub to this thread and check back in the morning and hope someone else has sorted you out in the meantime.

Remember deep breaths and very best of luck. *fingers crossed*

12. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

To enable sharing on a PC you need to right click on the folder or C: and enable sharing. Make sure you give permissions to 'Everyone'.

13. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

What OS do you have on your PC?

XP - Right click over a folder you want to share, go to the sharing tab then there will be a box that says "if you understand the risk...." click that and a box will pop up looking like this box. Just check the "Just enable file sharing" and that's it. Enabled.

Vista - Instructions here.

14. Paiger macrumors newbie

Thanks to all...

Thank goodness for these forums. I figured out sharing last night and am slowly but surely getting all of my music over from the PC (which runs on XP) to the Mac. The other files I can just email, but the music files, 12G worth, were the problem. Anyone else who comes to this string, it is a slow process but worth it. I never had to use the directions listed on Switch 101, but instead the directions posted above here.

So, simply (I realize there is more complexity to this), I did the following:
    Connected the Mac and PC with an ethernet cable
    Chose files I wanted to share and put them into a share folder on the PC
    Enabled my PC to share from the Network Connections Wizard
    Used the Finder on the Mac, Go -> Connect to Server
    Cut and pasted files over to a document folder on the Mac (probably could have put it in a music folder, but am still learning)
    Asked -or rather, told - iTunes to Consolidate.

So after all of this, I got about 3G of music over so far. I still have more work to do to get it all done, but I'm on my way. Thanks so much to BPrice for first asking the question and Lisa, most recently, for responding and helping. Oh and the patience pill last night (a glass of red wine) helped a lot!!

15. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

No worries, Paiger. I'm glad you got everything set up.
    If you need any help (e.g. like setting up static IP's etc) just give us a shout and we'd be happy to help) :)

16. bananaquit macrumors member

I'm having the same problem enabling sharing with my PC. I have followed all the instructions numerous times, and still my mac can't find my PC. Firewalls are off; the correct IP has been entered; sharing has been enabled and my PC recognizes the connection; workgroup name has been entered in Directory Access, still nothing on the mac side. I'm missing something but don't know what it is. Any suggestions not already on the thread?

Thanks much!