Transfering Files over ethernet vs FW

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by duncanapple, Oct 15, 2008.

1. duncanapple macrumors 6502

Okay, so I continue to kick around what most people on MR are - do I go PRO on the macbook or not? I wont get into a discussion on that as its going on in thousands of posts here at the moment. My question is more specific since I am really trying to find a way to avoid the extra cost of the PRO given the macbook now has such a great video card and I like the 13 inch form factor.

I am trying to figure out if I can live without FW. My external HD has both USB 2.0 and FW so I know for daily backups, the additional time wont be the biggest loss. I am more concerned about migrating my files between computers. I buy new computers often it seems (5 in 4 years) and being able to hook two up via FW is awesome.

First off, is it possible to just hook them directly up to each other with an ethernet cable? If I do this, I guess I can just log onto bonjour on both machines and transfer files via iChat? Or is there a better way?

And second how much faster is FW vs gigabit eithernet? Now that i think further though, i guess I will have to go via USB since I really want to move my files froma time machine backup vs from the old machine....

Lastly, and this is prob better suited in the AV forum, is there any other method to get video onto a macbook without firewire? USB is too slow to keep up I take it?

Thanks for the help!

Chris

2. polaris20 macrumors 68020

Cat6 crossover should do the trick, though I don't know if that works with the Migration Assistant. I know it works fine between Windows laptops over gigabit link.

Though generally I just transfer over the network, because I've got gigabit throughout.

In regards to the video question, really the only option is the hard disk based units, such as the HD series from Sony. Canon also has a couple models, I do believe. Whether or not the quality is satisfactory is up for debate, however I do enjoy my 1080P Sony cam. If you've already got a camera with FW only, that's a difficult one to deal with.