Transfering files To A New Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by prnoct90, Jul 13, 2011.

1. prnoct90 macrumors regular

I currently have a 500GB hard drive in my Macbook Pro, I am planning on upgrading it to and SSD. Ill just remove the current hard drive, and put in the new one, then reinstall the OS on the SSD. After that, can I put the old hard drive in an enclosure and access the files?

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Yes, but if you want to save yourself from reinstalling all your programs, you may want to backup with Time Machine, then use the Migration Assistant once you reinstall OSX.

3. simsaladimbamba

Even faster would be to just clone the old HDD to the new SSD (if there is enough room) via CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.

4. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I thought of that but since he's going from a 500gb drive to a smaller one, wouldn't cloning give an error? (assuming he's using more data than the SSD capacity)

5. simsaladimbamba

It would only give an error, if the data on the HDD is more than the SSD could hold, but since MBPs come with 500GB HDDs, doesn't mean, the user of such HDD would fill it up. I know some people who only have 1/100th of my data in GB (I have five or six or some more TB).

6. prnoct90 thread starter macrumors regular

Wait, so Mac has no security from this type of thing. That means if someone stole my computer, the person could just pop the hard drive out and access all of my files without a password. Wow....

7. simsaladimbamba

If you didn't enable any protection, then yes, but as in Windows, you can enable protection. FileVault for example, which has been greatly improved in Lion.
    And there are other options too, but as I don't use any encryption methods, I don't know them.
    Maybe you could start a thread or search for one of the existing one.
    And then there is also this: www.pure-mac.com

8. Modernape macrumors regular

I just cloned from a 320GB hard disk onto a 115GB SSD, no problems at all because my data was only 90GB - the size of the original disk is irrelevant.

9. islanders macrumors 6502

As mentioned above I would clone it first to the an external HDD with CCC or Super Duper. Any personal files I would also copy to a thumb drive. I didn't like Migration Assistant that copied a bunch of unnecessary files an my Applications then messed up my computer so I had to do a reinstall.

10. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Think about it. It a theif has you computer, he has all said info anyway. As he has your computer. Either way, just dont lose your laptop seems to be the easiest solution to this problem. Mac or no Mac