Transfering Files to New Laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kuebby, Aug 1, 2007.

1. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I currently have a Macbook and today I just bought a used Macbook Pro. I've backed up the enitre MB HD to an external drive using Super Duper!. Can I just connect that drive to the MBP and restore it using that image?

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

You should just be able to use Migration Assistant to get your data and settings moved over.

3. kuebby thread starter macrumors 68000

kuebby

I read that article and I justed wanted to know (since it wasn't clear to me) if it would transfer EVERYTHING? By everything I mean all applications and random other stuff like library files to go with stuff; plus settings and bookmarks from Firefox and Safari.

4. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

I used migration assistant to move from my old eMac to my MB, and when it was done my MB was a perfect facsimile of my eMac. All I had to do was update some applications to universal versions, if they existed. Migration assistant is definitely the easiest way to move from one Mac to another.

5. kuebby thread starter macrumors 68000

kuebby

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

6. gelatin macrumors 6502

is there any way to transfer over all my old firefox extensions and saved passwords onto my new mac?

the same question with my adium extensions

i have already used migration assistant but it didnt copy these over

also how do i transer my itunes playlist info over?

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't know if Firefox has an export function, but you can just export your playlist in iTunes.

8. Pickoff macrumors member

You can also just move the prefrences, Application Support, etc. files on over....