Transfering Files to New Laptop

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
NorCal
I currently have a Macbook and today I just bought a used Macbook Pro. I've backed up the enitre MB HD to an external drive using Super Duper!. Can I just connect that drive to the MBP and restore it using that image?

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
NorCal
You should just be able to use Migration Assistant to get your data and settings moved over.
I read that article and I justed wanted to know (since it wasn't clear to me) if it would transfer EVERYTHING? By everything I mean all applications and random other stuff like library files to go with stuff; plus settings and bookmarks from Firefox and Safari.

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
I read that article and I justed wanted to know (since it wasn't clear to me) if it would transfer EVERYTHING? By everything I mean all applications and random other stuff like library files to go with stuff; plus settings and bookmarks from Firefox and Safari.
I used migration assistant to move from my old eMac to my MB, and when it was done my MB was a perfect facsimile of my eMac. All I had to do was update some applications to universal versions, if they existed. Migration assistant is definitely the easiest way to move from one Mac to another.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
NorCal
I used migration assistant to move from my old eMac to my MB, and when it was done my MB was a perfect facsimile of my eMac. All I had to do was update some applications to universal versions, if they existed. Migration assistant is definitely the easiest way to move from one Mac to another.
Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

gelatin

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2006
is there any way to transfer over all my old firefox extensions and saved passwords onto my new mac?

the same question with my adium extensions

i have already used migration assistant but it didnt copy these over

also how do i transer my itunes playlist info over?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
is there any way to transfer over all my old firefox extensions and saved passwords onto my new mac?

the same question with my adium extensions

i have already used migration assistant but it didnt copy these over

also how do i transer my itunes playlist info over?
I don't know if Firefox has an export function, but you can just export your playlist in iTunes.