Transfering files to new MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by farmerku, May 20, 2008.

1. farmerku macrumors regular

farmerku

So if all things go as planned I will be buying a new Black 2.4 MacBook tomorrow morning and I have a question about transfering my music files from my old computer to my new MacBook?

I know I could buy an external harddrive and do this but I wont have enough cash after the purchase.

I dont know too much about this but can I connect the two computers some how and transfer files that way like through an ethernet cord or is that not possible from a pc to a mac?

Let me know if you guys nothing of another alternative!

THANKS FOR THE HELP!

2. asme macrumors regular

At the risk of sounding REALLY hipster, I'd suggest taking your computer to an apple store and letting them help you transfer.

You could also buy an external ENCLOSURE on the cheap and place your old laptop or desktop hard drive in. Remember to purchase the right interface and the correct size/form factor.

3. farmerku thread starter macrumors regular

farmerku

I don't think I have the knowledge to take my old hard drive out and I imagine I would probably ruin the whole thing.

So is there no other way to transfer file?

4. farmerku thread starter macrumors regular

farmerku

I just read a few things about transferring them through a router by connecting the two computers.

Does anyone have a link or know how to go about doing this.
    I have a wireless router in my room that provides wireless to my apartment and it would be rather easy to connect the two computers I just have no idea on how to go about this?

5. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

yeah, it's very easy
    i've not transferred files from mac to mac
    but i set up shared files on my daughter's pc
    they show up in finder
    and i just drag them wherever i want
    we do this with music all the time
    so i'm sure it's even easier from mac to mac
    someone on here will show up soon to tell you how, i'm sure

6. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

target mode is for mac firewire the computeers up

7. austriker27 macrumors newbie

good luck i have tried with no avail.. it is a lot easier to do it with mac to mac.. its just to bad bill gates doesnt like to make anything easy. do you have an ipod? you could transfer them to the ipod and do that or possiibly borrow a external HD from someone. buying one for just transfering music is kind of a waste unless you plan on using it a lot later

8. wannabe07 macrumors member

This might help: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75320

If you have a mp3 player or a flash drive, you could put your files on it, connect it to the mac, and drag and drop. Or, there are some programs you can buy that will do it for you, but if you're wanting to save money and want something easy, I would just take your pc in to the Apple store and have them do it for you.

9. farmerku thread starter macrumors regular

farmerku

flash drive is working MONEY!!! I am running two at a time and its a slow process but its working for sure! Thanks for the help you guys are amazing!

10. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

ouch i use ipod but now i have a ehd 250gb so its alot faster since its all backed up onto it