Transfering Firefox from one mac to another?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mantronix, May 22, 2008.

1. Mantronix macrumors regular

I recently had to replace my mac for a new one. I had Time machine enabled on my older mac therefore it was saved on my external hard drive. I was wondering if it was possible to transfer my Firefox settings (bookmarks, passwords, theme, addons ect...) from my time machine (external hard drive) back up to my new mac? Is there a folder that I can copy from my external drive and copy it to my mac?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The easiest way is to go to the Library folder inside your home folder -- and then the Application Support folder. While FF is not running on the Mac, delete the entire folder ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox on the new Mac / HD and copy the same folder from the old Mac HD in its place. This folder contains your Profile, Extensions, etc.

EDIT: You said Mozilla... which Mozilla product do you mean? Firefox, Thunderbird, ...? There should be analogous folders for the other apps in the same place.

3. Mantronix thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks alot and sorry I meant Firefox. I corrected it in my original post also.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sure thing; post back if you run into any troubles.

5. Mantronix thread starter macrumors regular

Ok problem arose. I don't see a Mozilla folder in my external hard drive or on my new mac. Would it be somewhere else?

6. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

There should be a Mozilla folder, although you are looking for Firefox. If you can't see it use Spotlight.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It won't be on your new Mac until you install and run Firefox. And it will be named Firefox, I think, and not Mozilla (I'm typing on my Ubuntu computer, not my Mac). To find it on the archive of the old HD, you go to your Home directory -- the one that has your Documents and Music and Pictures folder in it, and then from there, into your Library folder, then Application Support, and it should be there. Make sure you're in the home dir.