Transfering from PC to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kristofer, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Kristofer macrumors member

MY TITLE SHOULD SAY, "Transferring from Mac to PC", IF I WERE ABLE TO EDIT THE TITLE I WOULD.

Ok, here's my situation.

I have big (8gig) ISO files on my Macbook which I want to put on my PC running Win XP which does not have a connection. So networking is out of the question.

I have an external HD, but it is formatted only to work with my PC. So using an external HD is out of the question.

My Macbook has got into the habit of spitting out blank discs when I put them in - something I don't have the patience to get fixed at a shop right now. (I can't be without my laptop for any extended period). So burning a disc is out of the question.

I tried turning my Mac into an HD by holding the T key on boot. But I cannot attach it to my PC via firewire because my PC does not recognise firewire (for some reason, though the port is there...). So...that's out of the question.

I decided to try a USB transfer cable and went on a hunt for a USB cable which did not have USB on one end and a square plug on the other. I need one with USB on BOTH ends, that looks like a firewire but is a USB. It's awfully impossible to find such a thing in great number.

I found one that was incompatible with Mac/XP transfers. I tried using a 16gig USB drive but could only transfer 4gb chunks of data at a time. (VERY stupid!!!)

So what the hell am I to do now? How do I get this data off my mac and onto my PC???

2. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Have you tried an ethernet cable?
    from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1408?viewlocale=en_US

There's lots of other options in the link as well that should work.

3. Kristofer thread starter macrumors member

Woah, it worked.

For once, the simplest solution did the trick! Amazing. Thanks.