Transfering from the old to the new Macbkook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by my2geldings, Jun 3, 2010.

1. my2geldings macrumors member

Hey hey!
    So I bought a new laptop yesterday. I upgraded from a Macbook to Macbook pro last night. Despite the fact I got home close to midnight :eek: and had to be up for 0430 for work, I just couldn't let this new machine sit in the box :rolleyes: it was sitting there asking me to open the content.

Me being the obedient women that I am ;) I had to follow my heart. I opened the laptop, powered it, looked at it, admired my new lighted keypad and....went to bed.

So my issue is this. Now that I have turn the computer on once now, how do I transfer all the content of my old laptop onto the new one? what do I look up to make the transfer?

Thanks again everyone.

2. my2geldings thread starter macrumors member

3. Mirabella macrumors regular

When you start up your new computer, it automatically starts up the first time by asking you about registration and about migrating from an old computer (with Migration Assistant). It will lead you through the steps.

4. my2geldings thread starter macrumors member

Now my question is this:
    My old laptop is gone for repairs until at least next week, so if I were to start installing some games and programs on my new one and then do the migration from the old laptop to the my new one(would be next week), am I losing the programs I've installed today? or is it literally only migrating the info onto my new machine?

making sense?? yea no?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It will not overwrite anything. Just use it normally and when the time comes to migrate, select what and what not has to come to your new Mac.

6. my2geldings thread starter macrumors member

Wonderful, thank you so very much! You guys are absolutely phenomal :)