Transfering I tunes library

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Check 6, May 2, 2010.

1. Check 6 macrumors regular

Just got a new Macbook Pro and I want to transfer my I tunes playlist (songs, albums and podcasts to the new computer and then I will sync my ipod to the new computer. None of the music is bought or downloaded I simply copied from Cd's I own. The podcast are free downloaded one. I have tried dragging the library to a flash drive and uploading it on the new Macbook and all I get are the playlist folders not the contents. I have tried the share feature through Mobile me and that does not work either. I can always make it the topic of my "one to one" training this week but this is the last item in moving everything from the old Macbook pro so I can give it to our Daughter. Migration assistant did not seem to work either. Ok experts help this old guy.

2. btrav13 macrumors 6502

Go to Apple's website. Search for "transfer itunes music" and it will give you the options. Option 1 was to use your ipod to transfer, but this process seemed very in-depth and confusing to me with way too many steps. The other option, and the one I went with, was backing up to DVD's. My library took 4 DVDs and it was relatively fast. By the time one disc was done burning, I was able to put it into my new computer and load it all on. Once you put the disc into the new machine it will ask you if you want to import this library into itunes.

If you get a nice system going, you'll finish a disc from burning about the same time as the one in the new machine finishes copying. The ONLY thing that didn't show up, and I couldn't fix, was my playlists. They showed up under playlists as "imported playlists from backup" but when you clicked on them, there was nothing in there. I just ended up setting those up all over again.

3. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

just copy the itunes folder as a whole. then replace the itunes folder with this copy on your new machine.

4. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

lol Totally agree, don't know why people like to do things 10 times difficult :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

5. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

Normally this would work perfectly....however, if the actual music files aren't in the iTunes folder, it won't.

One option you can use is the Home Sharing feature in iTunes. Go to the Advanced Menu in iTunes and turn on Home Sharing for BOTH computers. Connect them to the same network, and they should appear in the left column (under "Shared") in the iTunes window. Get on the computer you want to copy the files over to, select other computer with the music on it through iTunes, and you should see all of your media. At the bottom of the screen, there should be an option to import all of those files to the new computer. It will take a while, depending on how much media you have. Once it's done, all the media should be copied over and stored locally on the new computer.

6. MasterTaco macrumors newbie

Also, if you want to get all your iTunes in your iTunes Media folder before copying you can always consolidate it.

Go to File > Library > Organize Library and then check the "Consolidate Library" button. That will copy all your files that are not in the iTunes media folder into there.

Then you can copy the whole folder over. Once on the new computer, start up iTunes while holding down the alt/option key and it will present a prompt to select which library you want to use.
    If you go and select the library file from your previous iTunes(the folder you just copied over), you should be set.

Using this method, you can keep all the meta-data(Play count, date added, etc) for your collection.
    However, one word of caution, make sure the path where the iTunes media folder is stored is the same on both computers.

Hope that helps! :D