transfering ipod touch music, apps, and information to mac (new mac user)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by snowboarder943, Jul 17, 2009.

1. snowboarder943 macrumors regular

Hello everyone!! Got my first mac and need to know how to transfer all the apps and music and information from my ipod touch 2g to my new mac. I've heard about Senuti which I'll probrably use for my music but what about all my applications??? Thanks in advance!!!:):):)

2. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

if i remember correctly when i did the same thing as you they are all stored in the iTunes folder so copy it from your PC (usually in My Music) over to your mac i would put it in your music folder and then once stored there drag the folder over onto iTunes and it should import all your music, apps and all that good stuff!

3. snowboarder943 thread starter macrumors regular

Like transfer all that with a FireWire cable?

4. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

yeah or over your network or to some external media. whatever your comfortable with :)

5. snowboarder943 thread starter macrumors regular

How long would it take to transfer about 170 songs, about 43 apps, and two movies over FireWire??? Thanks!!

6. snowboarder943 thread starter macrumors regular

7. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If the music, videos, and apps are all from iTunes, you can transfer it all in one fell swoop by 1) authorizing the computer from the Store menu in iTunes, 2) going to File->Transfer Purchases. And there is no way to give a proper estimate of how long it will take to transfer that content over Firewire.

8. snowboarder943 thread starter macrumors regular

What exactly do you mean to authorize your computer? Are you talking about the mac I want to transfer to or the pc that I want to transfer the stuff off of?thanks sorry for not understanding

9. Neotyguy40 macrumors regular

It wouldn't take more then an hour. Most likely about 30 minutes.

I suggest you go to your local Apple store and set an appointment to get your files that you want transfered. It is free to set one up.

It is best to let a Genius do it for you. They do it all the time.

10. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You would authorize the Mac, which will push up a prompt saying you have authorized 2 of 5 machines. After that, use the transfer purchases trick to pull over all the iTunes purchases from the iPod to the computer. Information may a be a bit more difficult such as contacts/calendars. If you have Outlook on your PC you can consider using the Outlook2Mac software to transfer its files over to a Mac compatible format, or using the MobileMe service to "sync" contacts/calendars wirelessly without having to manually migrate that stuff over.