Transfering iTunes between two macs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TheShinyMac, Aug 1, 2009.

1. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

My plan is to purchase a firewire 800 cable to connect my two macs together and then use target disk mode to transfer all of my iTunes songs and such. I have no idea how to get into TDM and I am also unsure which file I need to drag onto my mac and more importantly where to place the file in the mac that is receiving the library. I have also heard that using a ethernet cable is even faster, if so could I just use my ethernet cable from my router to do the job.

2. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Target Disk Mode

Copy the whole iTunes folder. The default itunes folder location is User/Music/iTunes. Simple as that.

3. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Thanks that helped alot, now could I use my ethernet cable instead of a firewire

4. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

just a note that personally when I do something like this I always have an extra back up incase of any corruptions. Yes it's probably overkill but if like me you have thousands of pounds/dollars worth of media it might be worth the extra money to get a simple extra back up

5. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I believe TDM only works with firewire. I'm not familiar with using ethernet for anyhing other than an internet connection. Maybe someone else could help with that.

6. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

just turn on personal file sharing and drop your itunes music folder to the other's drop box.

do another drop into the directory and you're good to go. done it a million times (with my own computers, not steeeeelingz!1)

7. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Would you mind giving me directions on how to do that? I would really love some screenshots that would be golden thanks again

8. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

Yes that should (will) work, I have copied approx 50gb externals like that over my N network. If you're wired its easy and quick

9. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

If you've got a spare Mac (or even Windows box) and you plan on using the two you describe here, you can make an iTunes server. I'm using a 733 MHz DA G4 as an iTunes server and it works great.

10. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

Basically its system prefs and then Sharing (see attach)

then your computers should just appear on finder, navigate and drop (check in finder prefs (command , ) that you have them showing

Attached Files:

11. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Thanks so much everybody would someone else please post a screenshot of the folder I select to transfer, I would like all the album artwork etc thanks again

12. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Copy the whole iTunes folder with everything in it.

Attached Files:

13. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

14. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

I will complete the process then upload the time it took and such so others can learn from this post