Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

6ftunder

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
Austria
Since my iMac arrived I want to sell my Macbook, but before I do that, I would like to transfer my whole library with the play counts/date added info. VERY important.

I have done this before from a PC to that Macbook but that was a few years ago so some things may have changed? Also, when I transfer the library, will that also transfer the backups for my iPhone/iPod or will I lose those and have to restore them?

Macbook is running latest Lion, iMac is running latest Mountain Lion.

Thanks guys!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Just follow this guide to move iTunes.

You iOS backups are in the folder ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync.

Just click the desktop to bring focus to the Finder, the hit shift-command-g and enter ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync in the popup, then enter. You will see a folder there called "Backup" with a backup for each iOS device. Just move that Backup folder to the new machine.

6ftunder

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
Austria
Just follow this guide to move iTunes.

You iOS backups are in the folder ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync.

Just click the desktop to bring focus to the Finder, the hit shift-command-g and enter ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync in the popup, then enter. You will see a folder there called "Backup" with a backup for each iOS device. Just move that Backup folder to the new machine.

Thanks! And I'll get to keep all the info (play counts etc.)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.