Transfering Large File from My Mac to my PC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nickjp42, Jan 31, 2010.

1. nickjp42 macrumors newbie

I have looked around the forum and cant seem to find the exact issue i am experiencing.

Here is my situation... I have a file on my macbook pro that is an .iso file that is 5.5 GB big... I want to move it to my desktop PC so I can use the file.. I have a external hard drive, but i get the "error code 0" thing when I try and move it over, which now i know is because its in a FAT32 format....

Are there any solutions, or any other ways that I can transfer this file to my desktop PC?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Nick

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Over a network, either via Ethernet or wirelessly.

With 802.11n Wifi it should take less than 10 minutes, with 10/100 Mbit LAN around 8 minutes, with Gigabit LAN around 2 minutes.

3. nickjp42 thread starter macrumors newbie

Spinnerlys:

ok im somewhat of a noob, especially when it comes to network stuff....

So i have my desktop PC connected to my home network via a cable. My Macbook is wireless. How exactly do i make the transfer via my network?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Even if you split the file up, it can't exist as a whole on the FAT file system. Are you OK with having the file in multiple pieces? If that's alright, take a look see at MacHacha.

5. nickjp42 thread starter macrumors newbie

ill give it a try, but it sounds like the network transfer method might be easier? Im not sure..

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The network transfer alone doesn't solve your problem, from how I understand your situation. The FAT file system has a 4 GB limit, not matter how you get the file there. It doesn't matter if you transfer the data over the network via an ethernet cable or wireless, a 5.5GB file cannot exist on a FAT system. You need a NTFS file system got the Windows side for that file to exist there.

7. nickjp42 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, so is dividing the iso file my best bet...?

8. nickjp42 thread starter macrumors newbie

angelwatt:

I am using MacHacha right now... What format do i split the file as? it gives me options such as:
    Hacha
    HJsplit
    FastSplit
    WinSplit
    MacHacha
    and Polymorphic

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

HJsplit, I had good experiences with that. http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/ is needed on Windows to join them again.

But make sure your Windows PC uses NTFS as a file system for its HDD(s).