Transfering Music from a PC to a Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nausicaa94619, Jul 15, 2007.

1. nausicaa94619 macrumors newbie

I have a 100gb SeaGate USB HD that i would like to use to transfer my itunes library on a PC to my Mac, but when i connect it to the PC it doesn't read it and I don't know how to make it show up or where it would show up to transfer the files to it.
    It may be formatted to Mac only, if so how do i format it to both or Windows? When it is formatted to Windows my Mac can read it right?
    How can I "reformat" my HD or make so I can transfer the files?

I am sure this question has been asked before but i couldn't find it so I'm asking it now...

Thanks

2. coogee macrumors regular

I don't know the answer to the OP's question but that link doesn't seem to answer it? Nothing there about file systems or USB HDD or..:confused:
    The OP doesn't mention an iPod either?

I think that people post on forums to get a response from a human being, even if apple support can answer all of life's many questions?

3. nausicaa94619 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, and yes thats true
    That didn't help me at all and i didn't mention an ipod did i?
    I am still searching for an answer even though its probobly really obvious :p

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

You shouldn't need to format that drive at all. Leave it the way it is, and transfer your songs from the PC to the mac. I did this exact thing yesterday. I have a Western Digital external drive and simply plugged it into my Mac and copied the songs over to iTunes. Just leave the drive the way it is.

5. nausicaa94619 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm... Where does it show up on the PC? because when i have it plugged in it isn't on the desktop or anywhere else where i would expect it?
    If i don't have to reformat it that would be great,
    I don't normally use PC's so I am completely lost so sorry if I am asking obvious questions

6. Homer2556 macrumors newbie

You'll need to open the "My Computer" folder on the desktop. There you'll see all the drives and document folders for your PC.

7. nausicaa94619 thread starter macrumors newbie

Did that and it didn't appear there...