transfering music from hard drive onto mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by samiam0606, Aug 4, 2010.

1. samiam0606 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I just received a mac from my brother he was no longer using. I have only used PCs until now. Many of the desktop icons are missing, such as itunes and firefox. How do I restore these?

I also have pictures and music saved on an external hard drive I would like to import to the mac but don't know how. When I click on the icon to my itunes library on my hard drive, the itunes icon appears on the bottom menu and I am asked to agree to the software license agreement. It then says "the folder 'itunes' cannot be found or created, and is required. The default location for this folder is inside the music folder." Where is this music folder and how do I get past this?

I appreciate any advise! Thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

iTunes stores its music and library under Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Music / iTunes.

Icons for applications are normally put into the Dock and not the Desktop, applications reside under Macintosh HD / Applications.

Macintosh HD is the name of the volume/partition or HDD Mac OS X resides on, but it could have been changed to something else.

What specific Mac (3) and Mac OS X version (2) do you use?

[​IMG]

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

3. samiam0606 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's an iMac 5,2. Thanks for those links, I will take a look at those. How do I reach "Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Music / iTunes"? ie where is macintosh HD located on the desktop?

Thanks!

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

[​IMG]

If you have enabled to show it on the Desktop, it should be on the top right, unless other icons prevent it from showing it there.

Finder > Preferences > General > Show these items on the Desktop > Hard disks
    [​IMG]

Mac OS X 101: Finder and the Desktop

The Macintosh HD icon

[​IMG]

but as written before, your brother might have renamed Macintosh HD to something else, the icon should look the same though, except if he changed that too.

5. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

I used to drag the music directly on itunes but that made it copy and use twice the space, when upgrading to a mbp I put it on a folder and then dragged it to the get automatically to itunes folder (I don't know the name in english) and it worked like a charm it added music apps ringtones everything :)