Transfering music from one pc to another

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TouchyFcr, Aug 20, 2010.

1. TouchyFcr macrumors newbie

TouchyFcr

Is this possible? I would like to keep my playlists and most importantly my playcounts plus artwork etc.
    Cheers.

Sorry if posted in wrong place.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The answer hinges on whether or not this other computer already has an iTunes library or not. In theory, if you copy your iTunes folder located in My Music (on Windows XP anyway, I don't have Vista or 7 to tell you where they are on there), to an external hard drive and put it in to corresponding location on your other computer and launch iTunes, it'll read the copied library. If you already have a library set up on the other computer it'll prompt you to replace the folder, don't do this unless you want to overwrite your existing library. If you choose to combine the libraries by importing into iTunes it will lose the playlists and playcounts. The album artwork can always be downloaded through the GraceNote service or re-added manually.

3. TouchyFcr thread starter macrumors newbie

TouchyFcr

Got vista at the mo want to transfer to a new windows 7 machine, which I haven't bought yet. That theory of yours sounds interesting could work.

4. eah2119 macrumors regular

Couldn't you turn on file sharing and share the iTunes Music folder where all your music is? And change the iTunes Media Folder location in the preferences tab to the same location on all computers. So when one computer tries to access the music it streams it from another computer.