Transfering Music

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Macnificant, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Macnificant macrumors 6502a

I just purchased my first Macbook and had a question about transfering my music from my PC external hard drive to my Macbook.

If I plug the external hard drive into the new MB will I be able to access the folder to transfer to MB.

Sorry this question might seem lame but this is my first Mac computer.

2. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Yep, it should work fine. Congrats on your Mac! :) If you do encounter any problems, the people here will be more than willing to help you.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If the HD is formatted as a FAT32 drive you will be able to read and write to it. If it is formatted in NTFS you will only be able to read it.

TEG

4. Macnificant thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think it is formatted in NTFS.

It is formatted in NTFS. So am I screwed in getting all this music onto my MB?

5. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

Well not really, but it might be a slight hassle. If your funds permit it, an easy thing to do would be to get another drive (you can get a 250GB USB WD Passport for $130 or so) format it to FAT32, move your files to that drive, then connect it to the Mac and move them to the Mac.

At that point you can decide what to do with the extra drive - sell it etc.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

NO. I said you could read the NTFS drive. Connect it, get your music (and anything else) then reformat so you now have a drive you can use for anything (use FAT32 if you want to be able to use it in Windows).

TEG