Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macnificant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
I just purchased my first Macbook and had a question about transfering my music from my PC external hard drive to my Macbook.

If I plug the external hard drive into the new MB will I be able to access the folder to transfer to MB.

Sorry this question might seem lame but this is my first Mac computer.

karenflower

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2007
Yep, it should work fine. Congrats on your Mac! :) If you do encounter any problems, the people here will be more than willing to help you.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
If the HD is formatted as a FAT32 drive you will be able to read and write to it. If it is formatted in NTFS you will only be able to read it.

TEG

Macnificant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
If the HD is formatted as a FAT32 drive you will be able to read and write to it. If it is formatted in NTFS you will only be able to read it.

TEG

I think it is formatted in NTFS.

It is formatted in NTFS. So am I screwed in getting all this music onto my MB?

Wingnut330

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Central Ohio - USA

Well not really, but it might be a slight hassle. If your funds permit it, an easy thing to do would be to get another drive (you can get a 250GB USB WD Passport for $130 or so) format it to FAT32, move your files to that drive, then connect it to the Mac and move them to the Mac.

At that point you can decide what to do with the extra drive - sell it etc.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I think it is formatted in NTFS.

NO. I said you could read the NTFS drive. Connect it, get your music (and anything else) then reformat so you now have a drive you can use for anything (use FAT32 if you want to be able to use it in Windows).

TEG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.