Transfering my iPhone 3GS to a different line on my plan WITHOUT data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by christall109, Jun 16, 2010.

1. christall109 macrumors 6502

So I am hopefully getting the iPhone 4 on the launch date, however I would like to give my 3GS to my dad for fathers day. Is there a way without jailbreaking/unclocking so that the 3GS does not have a data plan?

We are on a family share plan. I thought the data contract was required with the initial purchase of the phone due to the subsidy, but now that I am upgrading to the iPhone 4 I should be renewing my 2 year data contract.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. mb2008 macrumors regular

Some people got away with moving 2Gs and dropping the data plan. ATT has since become stricter. I gave my 3G to mom and she had to activate a data plan. I did change her data so now she only costs me $24.99 per month.

BTW, my mom only likes the phone for GPS, she hates the sound quality, she can't hear it ring, and she constantly makes random phone calls. Makes me regret giving it to her.

3. christall109 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Not foolproof that I've seen, but if you search there are lots of discussions with people offering solutions that seem to have worked for them.

Typical discussion title is "iPhone as iPod Touch?" or something similar.

5. Krayzie116 macrumors 6502

my cousin from cali has his iphone 3gs data turn off. he has a really good friend who works at a at&t store in cali he turn it off for him, he came down last week and showed me. so at&t can do it the answer is would they no they wont unless you have a real good friend at at&t to do it for ya. it would be great if they would

6. army91c macrumors 6502a

^ bunk.

You can not have an iPhone functioning as a phone and not have a data plan on it. AT&T will know you're on an iPhone and add the data plan onto your service. Many people have tried to "pull a fast one" and it just doesn't work. Tell your pops to just eat the freakin $15 a month or get another phone.