Transfering my iPhoto library

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fishtalk, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Fishtalk macrumors regular

Had/ Have an old G3 pismo running Panther and I used an ext.HHD to hold my iPhoto libary... because I didn't have enough space on the internal.
    I think my iPhoto app is a bit ******* because every time I open a photo it takes about 3 minutes and retouching even longer.( because one day I went into the iPhoto libary which I know is a no- no)
    Ok. my Pismo is just about dead and would like to save my photo's before it dies.
    cant afford a new Mac for the moment and someone has given me a PC
    All I want is the JPEG photos ( not the filling system of iPhoto)
    I think the whole library is about 10GB. and would like to transfer it to the PC ...How do I go about it.
    Ps. eventually when i get a new Mac will the old backed up iPhoto libary work with a newer version of iPhoto.
    Thanks

2. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

What format is the external HD? If it's HFS+ you can use macdrive to allow the pc to read it and get all the photos off that way. Since the iPhoto library is a single package (or at least it is on the newer versions, not sure about the one you have), you are going to have to right click it and select "show package contents" to get to the jpeg files.

3. kapolani macrumors regular

Can you export it?

When I want the files I use the export mechanism. You can even select file size etc. i.e. small/medium/large/full size.

Choose where you want to export to - bam.