Transfering OS X license

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sainsburys, Apr 4, 2013.

1. sainsburys macrumors regular

Transferring OS X license what does it exactly mean? I'm about to restore macbook to factory settings (but not to sell it) and of course I used google and found this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11273?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Easy and simple. But then I found this post:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4390401?start=0&tstart=0

and in the end we can read:
    If your computer came with Lion or Mountain Lion pre-installed then you are entitled to transfer your license once. If you purchased Lion or Mountain Lion from the App Store then you cannot transfer your license to another party. In the case of the latter you should install the original version of OS X that came with your computer. You need to repartition the hard drive as well as reformat it; this will assure that the Recovery HD partition is removed. See Step Three above. You may verify these requirements by reviewing your OS X Software License.

Do I need to bother with transferring license when I will not sell my macbook?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you're not selling it then you don't need to worry about licences at all; you can just reinstall the version that it came with. This will not require any "proof of purchase".

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Just ignore it they can't legally prevent you from transferring your license. Autocad tried this and was shot down years ago in the courts. As it falls under the first sale doctrine. Assuming you are in the US.

4. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

:) That's what you say, OP posted info directly to the contrary. Try and invoke the 'First Sale doctrine' on iTunes Purchases and let us know how that goes (spoiler: Nope).

5. stchman macrumors 6502a

IIRC, by purchasing Mountain Lion, you are allowed to install it on 5 Apple computers you own.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Companies also don't have to unlock anything you transfer or do anything in any way to help you. So you can transfer the song to someone else. However, Apple doesn't have to help you by transferring the license so the transferee can play it. Even though they would physically have it they would have no way to play it. Unless you created a new account for every song you purchase and sell log on info with it.

This is part of the reason why practically every physical computer game is tied to Steam. That way even though you have every right to resell the game. It is tied to your Steam account. Steam is not obligated to help you by transferring the license. So even though you resell the game the buyer will have no way to play it. However you could activate a new Steam account with every game you purchase then sell them your game and account.

As OS X is not tied up by by an activation scheme. Apple can do nothing to prevent you from reselling it with your computer. Current legal precedent in Vernor v. Autodesk would indicate that you are within full rights to do so. So Apple would need to fight this ruling to a higher court to overturn the decision.

7. sainsburys thread starter macrumors regular