Transfering P2 and SD to External HD in the Field

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ben1257sb, Jul 12, 2012.

1. ben1257sb macrumors newbie

I will be going on a 9 day river trip. On that trip, we will be shooting a documentary on my Panasoinc HVX and my Canon 5D. For my video guys out there, I know you all know it would be far too expensive to purchase enough P2 cards for my trip. I might be able to purchase enough SD cards for my trip but I am trying to figure out a way to transfer my P2 media to an external hard drive. That sounds easier and cheaper.

Batteries will be scarce on this river trip so a laptop conversion might not work. Is there a device that exists that will transfer P2 media straight to an external HD without needing a laptop?

I'm not experienced in this realm of filmmaking and I know something like this must exist. How do the people from Discovery and History channel pull it off?

Any suggestions?

2. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

There are units that download SD cards and P2 cards straight onto an internal and removable hard drive. I looked into them and they used to be very expensive. If I remember correctly it was around the same price as a MacBook Air. The units are great as the can run on both small batteries and car chargers, but I found it too expensive at the time and chugged along my MacBook pro instead. Ideally you should use a software like Shotput Pro hat lets you copy to 2 different drives simultaneously AND it checks he copies for any errors. It costs $99 I think