Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

novetan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
I want to transfer phone contact from iphone 4 to my ipad mini. I searched and read a forum that using Bump is the fastest. I search the App store but can't find. BTW, that forum was 2 yrs ago.

I heard iTune can do the job but is a tedious way. What's the best way to transfer?

Tks for help

dendowling

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2011
Do you mean transfer one contact or all of them?

If you just want to move one contact, go to your contacts open one. And, at the bottom of the contact tap Share Contact, then use Message or Mail to send it to yourself. When the contact arrives on your other device open it, go to the bottom, and tap Create New Contact.

If you want to transfer all your contacts you can use iCloud to sync contacts across both devices. Open Settings->iCloud. Make sure you are logged in with your Apple ID then turn on Contacts. Do the same for both devices.

You can also sync your contacts with your Mac computer using iTunes. Open iTunes plug in your iPhone and select the iPhone, then click on the Info tab and turn on Sync Contacts and, click the Sync button in lower right. Then do the same with your iPad.

novetan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Do you mean transfer one contact or all of them?

You can also sync your contacts with your Mac computer using iTunes. Open iTunes plug in your iPhone and select the iPhone, then click on the Info tab and turn on Sync Contacts and, click the Sync button in lower right. Then do the same with your iPad.

Hi Dendowling,

I think I'll try this.

When mouse over iphone and right click after plug into com using iTunes, there are several options. Namely: Sync, transfer purchases, back up and restore from Back up.

Than at the very right hand corner of the entire iTunes, there is also a sync tab.

I tried the right click Sync (ie option 1) and it took quite sometime to copy (total 8 steps) but am not sure whether did it copy all the contacts. Am still lost as how do i check whether it has copied the contacts. Or I shouldn't right click the sync?

Tks

dendowling

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2011
Yeah, if you click on iPhone in right column, then click Info in top row. You can see Contacts sync options.

Turn on Sync Contacts. Then click the Sync button in lower right corner.

itunesync.jpg

It will merge with contacts on your computer. You can open Contacts on your Mac (or AddressBook on old OS) to see if it has all the contacts from your phone.

You can check for duplicates on your Mac Contacts - look under menubar Cards -> Look for Duplicates. You should do that the first couple times you sync new iPhone or iPad. Should be fine after that.

If you are not going to use iCloud syncing then you should plug in and sync with iTunes every week or so depending how often you change add/edit your contacts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.