Transfering photos from DSLR to iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appleii.c, Jul 20, 2013.

1. appleii.c macrumors 6502

appleii.c

I apologize in advance if this has been asked before, but I have been unable to find a good solution. I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice in transferring photos from a camera to an iPhone while I'm out and about. I want to be able to be out somewhere, say Disney or the park or a sporting event, and while i'm out, transfer the photos I've taken directly to the phone to either sent them to my wife and family, post them to social media or do some minor retouching. I have a Nikon D5100 and an iPhone 4s and have tried to research the different options. I have the Apple camera kit and iPad and that works beautifully, but I don't always want to take the iPad with me, and even then, it's an extra step to get the photos to the iPad, then to the phone (for some reason, the uploaded camera photos don't get synced to PhotoStream).

Has anyone used the Nikon WU-1a adapter or the eye-fi card? Do you need to be on a wireless network for them to communicate with the phone or is it a direct wi-fi connection? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

"Mobi instantly delivers photos & videos from your camera to your smartphone or tablet.

No wireless network required. Mobi creates its own WiFi so it works anywhere you are."

So this will work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

3. kemperman macrumors regular

kemperman

I've just bought an eye-fi card for my Nikon 1. I can report it works as advertised and is exactly what you want for your situation.

4. araje macrumors regular

Yup eyefi works very well.
    When I am out I have my DSLR transfer photos to my iPad and then when I am back home when my iPad and my home laptop are on same network all the photos get automatically transferred to my laptop.

No manual stuff.

5. chdwil macrumors regular

I have the adapter and it works. Nothing special about it. You can control your camera from your mobile device and no network is required.

6. appleii.c thread starter macrumors 6502

appleii.c

Thank for the replies. Looks like the eye-fi might be what I'm looking for.

chdwil, do you use the Dikon adapter with a d5100? I've just read that it's not compatible with it.