Transfering photo's from iPod touch to mac

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by thebeesknees, Jul 30, 2008.

1. thebeesknees macrumors regular

I accidently deleted a bunch of photo's from my mac, but they are still in my iPod Touch. Do you know of a program that will transfer them to my mac?

2. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Can't think of one, but you can always email them to yourself. How many photos are we talking?

The photos on your iPod, however, are significantly smaller than the ones on your computer, most likely :( They compress them to be put on your iPod.

3. thebeesknees thread starter macrumors regular

Hundreds. Meh, most of them are silly Photo Booth's but some are kinda nice...

4. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Have you contacted Apple support with this question?

I'll look for solutions. What OS are you running?

5. thebeesknees thread starter macrumors regular

6. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Oh, real quick, just to get rid of the easy solutions: Are you a MobileMe user?

7. thebeesknees thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah. But I'd like to keep all the photo's private... As in, password protected web gallery would be fine, if possible.

8. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Hey, MobileMe supports that. The way to create an album is in iPhoto. Make a new MobileMe album, and set it so that it's only viewable by you.

That, or email the pics to yourself.

There doesn't appear to be a free way to transfer photos from your iPod to your computer :( So, unless you're willing to drop $20+ on an application, I'm afraid I couldn't find anything. Sorry!
    Did you try contacting Apple?

Anyone else have any luck?

9. thebeesknees thread starter macrumors regular

The mobile me thing should be great! Thanks a lot!

EDIT: Wait. If I restore my iPod and it creates a back up, would that back up my photos as well?

10. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Word. Hope it works out!

11. thebeesknees thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

12. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

iPhoto works for me, I plug my ipod in sometimes iPhoto will load automatically but if it doesn't open it and it should detect it or there is an import button somewhere (not on my mac so couldn't say where)

13. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

The reason this wouldn't work is because iPhoto only imports photos that are in the Saved Photos album. So, it's only saved pictures from Mail, Safari or screen shots.

Unfortunately, iPhoto doesn't connect to the rest of the pictures on the iPod. :( Apple's reasoning for this is beyond me, though.

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The "rest of the pictures on the iPod" are synced from a computer to the iPod. Therefore, the originals should be on a computer somewhere. Also, iTunes compresses the pics when copying them to the iPod, so the pics on the iPod are of a lower quality than the originals on the computer. So I can see why Apple would think there isn't any point in copying them off the iPod back to a computer.

15. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

In cases like the OP's.

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

But as has been stated earlier in this thread, the pictures recovered from an iPod wouldn't be as high quality as the lost originals. Apple doesn't intend for the iPod to be a backup device for your picture collection, and they're qute clear about that.

17. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

True... I'm by no means downing Apple's decision. I was more asking why the limitations are put into place, you know? But you're right, it knocks size waay down.

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

And I can see how it may occasionary be useful to be able to copy back the pics from the iPod, as in the OP's case. However, I don't think this is a case of putting limitations on something -- I assume Apple would have to write extra code to enable a functionality like copying the pics off an iPod, right? So why bother going to the trouble since it's going to be only of rather limited use?

19. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Makes sense.

20. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

I'm afraid your warning may be almost four year late...

21. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

Dropbox. It supports every kind of file since it's basically a normal folder - and it is sure cross platform. I share important files (school work for example) between my macs, idevices and windows based computers automatically.