transfering photos

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jacotte33, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Jacotte33 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I am trying to help a friend (long distance)... she tells me that when she transfers photos from one folder to a new one, her Mac makes duplicates - is that possible? Could she be doing something wrong or perhaps might she have changed something and not know it?
    Thanks for you feed back
    Have a great evening/day

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

She has to hold down the option keyboard key while moving the items. This will stop the duplication and just move the item.

3. Jacotte33, Jan 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015

Jacotte33 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Satcomer... I'll pass on the information so she can try.

I actually just tried that on my Macbook and it makes duplicates into a new folder! Just the opposite of what I expected!!! I don't get it.

4. Zerozal macrumors 6502

If you are transferring between folders on the same drive, the default behavior is "Move". If you hold the option key, it makes a copy (duplicates).

If you are transferring between folders on a different drive, the default behavior is "Copy" (duplicate). If you hold the option key, it will move the file (not copy).

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

6. Jacotte33 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much ... now this brings another question in my mind.

Pardon my ignorance, but how do I know if it is "same drive" or "different drive"?

7. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

8. Jacotte33 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Dave... however that doesn't answer my question.

I am not sure I understand the process... on my MacBook, I simply create a new folder and slide things in it, I don't ask myself whether it is "same drive" or "different drive" - and I never had the problem of duplication. So I have to be able to explain what the difference is and how to tell.

All I know is that she is trying to organize her photos and she ends up with duplicates all over the place and I am trying to understand how this happens.
    I also have to be able to ask her the wright questions in order to understand what she is doing.

Good day to all

9. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Sorry, I thought you wanted to know how to tell if your friend was using the "same drive" or a "different drive".

It might be easier to get your friend to register on this site and post here. Cut out the middle man, so to speak. Saves us asking you, you asking her, her telling you and you telling us.