Transfering / Selling my old Adobe Master Collection

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gator24765, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

Forgive me if something in this post is illegal because im not sure. I wanted to see if you guys could help me out with a couple of things.

I recently bought a Macbook Pro that came loaded with Adobe Master Collection CS4. Where can i find the serial numbers for each of the programs.

Also, on the same computer that i bought, It has the Full master collection of Adobe CS3 as well. Is there a way i can find the serial numbers for those and sell them??

Third, If i was to get a new computer, how would could i transfer all of my software ( Final cut pro, Adobe CS4 etc) to the new computer?

Thanks! If any of it sounds illegal i wont bother...

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

I suspect it's pirated version. Did you buy it from a reputable source? Sometimes you see deals on eBay for computers with thousands of dollars of software included, but NO disks. This is a sure sign of pirated software. Do you have the install disks for Adobe?

3. Gator24765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

I dont because it didnt come with which really makes me think its pirated.

I also think it was purchased with a business license?

Could that be possible?

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Unless the computer cost $3000+ and you were sent a form to sign and fax to Adobe, it's pirated. Very, very common on eBay ("CS4 Master Collection disk images on the hard drive!"), but still illegal.

I once sold (or rather, tried to sell) a legit piece of Adobe software to a legit buyer. I was required to fill out a transfer of ownership form that both I and the buyer had to sign and send to Adobe before they would recognize the transfer of that license from me to the new owner.

Not to mention that the new owner learned that since I'd previously activated it on a Mac (and of course removed and deactivated before selling), Adobe had somehow locked the serial number into being a Mac-only one and refused to let her activate it on a Windows box.

Insulting is one of the kinder words I had for the process, but point being, just some disk images on the hard drive are almost certainly NOT legit at all. Delete them and be on your way.

5. Gator24765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

Yeah the whole disc image thing sounds about right?

can anyone enlighten me exactly how the disc image for the software works?

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

A disc image is just what it says--it's a complete copy of a disk (in this case a DVD) that can be mounted by the MacOS such that it works exactly as if the physical disc had been inserted in the computer. I use them all the time to install software at my workplace off our server rather than carrying a disc around with me (or when I can't find it). CS3 premium is one of the things I install this way.

As far as Adobe is concerned, however, the only thing that really counts is your serial number and the corresponding activation once the software has been installed on a computer. You could, for example, be holding the original physical discs in your hand, but if you don't have a legit serial number they're useless and installing it is just as illegal as if you'd downloaded a pirated copy. In my case we have a campus license code we use.

If the computer didn't come with serial for your Adobe software, the reinstall disk images aren't good for anything. Now, if you had a serial and lost it but it hasn't been used by/given to anybody else, Adobe probably has a method for getting a new one if you have proper proof of purchase.