Transfering Time machine data

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fried-gold, Sep 9, 2009.

1. fried-gold macrumors member

Ok this might be a little difficult to follow..

I've just got a new MBP. I'm in the process of backing up my old laptop with time machine, so that I can transfer everything to the new computer with the migration assistant. I will have just enough space on my hard drive to do this. However the external HD is only 160 Gb and I would rather have a much bigger drive to use with time machine, and use this device to carry other files around. I don't want to lose the old backup data though... Is there any way to copy back up data onto a new time machine HD?

Cheers, Andy

2. oculus42 macrumors 6502

You may be able to use SuperDuper! to clone the data to the new drive.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

4. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Make sure both drives are connected & then launch Disk Utility. Click on one of the drive names in the left column (the main drive icon, not a sub-icon) & click the Restore tab across the top (far right). Then drag the icon of the older/smaller drive to the Source field & the icon of the new drive to the Destination field & click Restore. I found it worked best with Erase Destination checked, which is not a problem with a brand-new drive. When this is done copying & verifying (at least 2-3 hours!), the new drive will have the same name as the old drive.

[​IMG]

5. fried-gold thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the response guys. Peggy, I shall give that one a try. I'll let you know how i get on. Many thanks, Andy.