Transfering to a new mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Daniel97, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

Hi Guys,

Sorry im a bit of a newb and this question has me stumped!

I currently have a 21'' iMac i dont use as its cumbersome and i have no room for it.

I am selling it to buy a Macbook Air (hopefully i dont regret it)

Anyway i want to transfer all of my applications, music and photos across to the new Air.

Currently my iMac is using 105GB of space INCLUDING OSX SL.

It is backed up with time machine etc etc so how do i transfer it?

Do i buy a macbook air and plug in the time machine and just press restore?

Do i set the macbook air up first as a new machine etc etc and then hit restore?

Im a bit lost lol

Thanks in advance!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There is an option in the initial setup to "Restore from a Time Machine backup."

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can select a Time Machine Restore after booting up into the OSX installation process when you first by a Mac or select the migration assistant to bring your stuff over.

4. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

If you don't need the lightweight portability of the MBA I'd get the Pro, just my opinion.
    The only option if you want a MBA is the 13" with 256BG, you're already using 105GB on your current Mac. You may fill a 128GB SSD in no time.

6. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i have 36GB of itunes data and 12GB of iPhoto .. i dont have any HUGE applications either and have managed to get my Mac HD down to 80GB .. this obviously includes the OS SL as well though

Is it possible to set up my new MBP as a brand new machine etc etc etc and then plug my time machine in and just migrate apps, music and photos with nothing else?

7. seleneS macrumors member

Just ordered my MBP :D, and I have the same question. My old MB is 5 years old which I've never done any fresh install since I bought it, only upgraded from Tiger to Snow Leopard. Do you guys think it's worth to reinstall applications in the new MPB or migrating everything from the old one is good enough?

Besides, I don't have a FireWire cable so I'll try to connect the two computers by USB or ethernet cables. Which one is faster?

Thanks.